I read posts here that call different things, "harmful to humanity."  Others call something, "good" or "bad" or "evil."

A very simple question, who gets to decide the definition of  "harmful to humanity" and what is there critieria? The same for "good," "bad," and "evil?" These are not material terms. If everything is material isn't there just "is" and not these moral declarations if one is being thoroughly atheist?

Help me understand your position so I am fair and honest about the views. Thanks.

Views: 7435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So consciousness, whatever it is, can be a cause of something? Or are you saying it is incidental or uninvolved in determining actions?

I'm not sure what difference it would make. Subconscious actions have conscious effects which themselves have effects. Still, consciousness is passive. We are only conscious of what appears to our consciousness, aren't we? The real activity is going on behind the scenes in our brain where we can't see it.

Until consciousness is better defined I am still open minded to it not being a slave to the subconscious.

It's an epiphenomenon of the brain. Even what comes through the eyes and ears goes through the brain before you're aware of it.

If it isn't subject to the control of the subconscious, then it must be spirit, right? What else could it be?

If you believe in spirit, then you are religious in some sense of the word. Believing in spirit is probably the only thing common to all religions.

Are you suggesting that something controls the body?

Are you suggesting nothing does?

The operative word is "control."

So...?

How about coming out with some declarative statements. I don't want to indulge you in a guessing game.

We've talked about the need to define terms earlier.  Contrast the concept of "influence" with the concept of "control". I accept direct observation as a form of proof.  How about you? Can you get closer to a concept of proof?  There are some basic words that are very difficult to define and agree upon.  These words include the personal pronouns, the word "understand" and the word "know." They are surrounded by controversy, yet we use them as if we understand what the other means.

RE: "A rainbow doesn't really exist in space, though it appears to."

The water droplets that refract the light exists in space, as does the refracted light.

True, but irrelevant. The rainbow looks different from different angles and appears to be in different places. The refraction you see from where you stand takes place in different places in the mist cloud for different observers in different locations.

The rainbow exists in your eye and mind as a multicolored arc. There really is no multicolored arc out there where the rainbow appears to be. You never see rainbows from the side as would be the case if a rainbow existed as a physical object in space.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 0 Comments

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service