I read posts here that call different things, "harmful to humanity."  Others call something, "good" or "bad" or "evil."

A very simple question, who gets to decide the definition of  "harmful to humanity" and what is there critieria? The same for "good," "bad," and "evil?" These are not material terms. If everything is material isn't there just "is" and not these moral declarations if one is being thoroughly atheist?

Help me understand your position so I am fair and honest about the views. Thanks.

Views: 7454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my god Atheist Exile. You just ruined my night.

Sorry about that, Mabel. I know you're a cat lover too.

you're a typical liberal thinking European. You have no REAL idea about your undeserved privilege. Do you live overseas in some brown people's country enjoying their reverence of your white skin? That's why you can rhetorically say, they (Chinese) won't let you force their morality on them, yet by trying to "open" my mind, your cultural arrogance is trying to force your opinion on me because for some deep historical reason, since I'm a non white "American", I can't have a different, yet valid opinion, it must be as close to the white one as possible.

And trust me, if you thought you could get away with forcing the Chinese to stop boiling cat, you'd sign PETA's or GREENPEACE, or any Western, we think that's wrong petition. That's your nature.

See how judgemental I am but how rational you are?

I'm through with you Shabaka but feel free to continue proving my point.

Clueless.

lol I was through with you a while back..

see u are still being judgemental..lol such cultural arrogance! 

@Exile - Ya, that's why I quit engaging him.  For a self-proclaimed atheist, he sure talks, thinks, jumps to conclusions, and is as intellectually devoid of logic as a theist.

Hey, maybe it is Wretched Saint in disguise, as someone else mentioned WS might come back as!  Notice that they don't engage each other........   Hmmmmm.

And trust me, if you thought you could get away with forcing the Chinese to stop boiling cat, you'd sign PETA's or GREENPEACE, or any Western, we think that's wrong petition. That's your nature.

Another touchy example might be female genital mutilation in a few African countries. Or heterosexual transmission of AIDS to women there. Because males dominate the sexual relationships. Yeah, I'd probably sign petitions against those practices, and against boiling cats in China. But it'd be meaningless to those sovereign states. And I wouldn't use human rights issues as an excuse to invade a country, unless the whole international community was behind it.

Meanwhile, about your comment (quoted, above)... you'd sign a petition or support laws against gay marriage, right? (Like Prop 8 in California, or a similar proposition where you live?)

Yes I would and when I lived in California I voted against legal medicinal marijuana .and I voted FOR raising the cigerette tax AND  WAS A PACK A DAY SMOKER AT THAT TIME.

The reason in all three was the effect on the children..

BTW, we don't have to go to Africa, one in ten young black men are in prison in America..is this a sociological problem or are they just born criminals? Who dominates the laws and economy here?

Yes, teaching children to be prejudice is a very important task and can't just be left to anyone.

Isn't it interesting that Shabaka claims to be black, and yet is more than happy to jump in and strip the civil rights away from someone that he doesn't "approve" of?  I think that's more proof that he is actually a white xian.  No rational black person would vote to strip the rights away from someone just because of their nature.  What an idiot!

@Shabaka, I don't think many here will disagree with you about the difference in opportunity between black and white. In fact, I thought the statistics about blacks in prison were even worse. I just remember there are more blacks in prison than in college. I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter, because I see it as a historic problem that still needs fixing and I lean toward reverse discrimination. That is, if a white and a black had nearly equal credentials and character credibility, I'd hire the black. Double that bet if he or she is also gay.

There's even a black man currently living with me in my house, and recently there were two. Believe me, I've heard the lectures, and I understand where you're coming from. But I've learned not to assume too much about people I don't know. For some people, it takes way too long to mature to that point, and a few of them never get over their anger, or ever learn who's really on there side.

I saw a TV show a while back where cooks were preparing fish.  I can't remember if the fish was cooked or not, but they would definitely cut it up and prepare it to be eaten and when it ended up on the plate ready to go, it was still trying to suck water through its gills.  I was so repulsed that I couldn't watch more than just a few minutes.

Personally, I wouldn't have been able to eat the crab, no matter how insulted the host was.  Eating an animal is one thing, I eat meat of all sorts; chicken, pork, cow, deer, elk, fish.  But I don't have the lack of conscience that it takes to torture the animal before eating it.  I do consider the way that some cooks (tend to be especially asian) and some people want a food that is so "fresh" that they are happy for the animal to die an excruciating, horrible death to provide them with a "delicacy".  Personally, I couldn't enjoy the food, no matter how delicious, knowing that the animal must suffer for my pleasure.  That's why I can't (read: won't) eat veal.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Arcus 7 minutes ago. 116 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen 10 minutes ago. 23 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service