I read posts here that call different things, "harmful to humanity."  Others call something, "good" or "bad" or "evil."

A very simple question, who gets to decide the definition of  "harmful to humanity" and what is there critieria? The same for "good," "bad," and "evil?" These are not material terms. If everything is material isn't there just "is" and not these moral declarations if one is being thoroughly atheist?

Help me understand your position so I am fair and honest about the views. Thanks.

Views: 7248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely you jest - Mankind is taller now than it has ever been, and it's lifespan the longest. Jesus, if he ever existed, wouldn't have been that strapping 6-foot handsome Germanic type we see in the paintings, he would have been about 5' 4" with a scraggly beard and dark, greasy hair.

What part of "I haven't the time, and certainly not the inclination, to re-locate the research and bring it to the board" did you not entirely understand? Possibly I could translate it into one-syllable words --

The Dutch are the tallest people, have a long lifespan, and are very healthy.  Now, about dogs, you are right.  Dogs between the size of foxes and wolves are the most healthy.

Dogly - no pun intended - you might find this interesting:

http://visual.ly/8-animal-myths-dispelled

Thanks, for the list of animal myths.  May I call you Archy? (Since I have become familiar with your genealogy, and philosophy, I feel I know you a little.)  I knew the ones about mammals and birds, but not the length of a goldfish's memory.  I never believed it was only 3 minutes though, because I have known some goldfish.  I also knew nothing about the love lives of lobsters.  Still, that illustration of the red lobsters getting married may be an error, since they have been boiled and no amount of pheromones will ever arouse them again.  Most important of these myths is the one that says not to handle baby birds or their mother will smell us and not go back to them.  Many baby birds could have been rescued, but for this myth.  In fact birds are fearless in protecting their young, and don't have much of a sense of smell.  Thanks, again!

Arch, Archy - what's in a name?

The fact that the female lobster sheds her entire shell to have sex, then grows a new one, really gives a different perspective on, "Take it off, Baby! Take it ALL off!" Probably had her own little lobster stripper pole and everything - lap dance, five clams - I could go on, but mercifully, won't.

To go one would be to monopolise the thread. A little shellfish I think.

My, we're crabby --

Well I have heard that taller people tend to get unhealthier the older they get, saw it on tv once but that has been years ago. Something about bone structure I think idk I'm not a skeletonologist so I could be wrong

I've read that too Tom, about people who have a rare defective gene that results in "giantism" - people who are abnormally tall - but I haven't heard it about tall people in general. Doesn't mean it's not true, could just mean I haven't heard about it.

Giant land mammals tend to have shorter lives. For example large dogs like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes don't have long lives as dogs go, on average.

I assume you mean like elephants, who have a 70-year average life span? I'm glad you mentioned mammals, rather than animals, else we would have to include alligators, with a 100-year average life-span, or giant sea turtles, whose life spans are considerable longer.

Do I sense a similarity between you and Chewbacca, in that neither of you can bring yourselves to say, "You know, I could be wro, wro - not entirely correct --"

Lol

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Philip Jarrett 27 minutes ago. 155 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.