And now, as they say in Monty Python, for something completely different (from my usual twaddle).

I was thinking recently about the music that floored me and changed me and my perception of music. It's happened to me several times. In order...

The Ventures — Prior to their classic instrumental Walk Don't Run, like most kids I was primarily interested in pop vocals. They got me interested in the electric guitar. I've enjoyed electric guitar music ever since. However, while I've owned a few electric guitars over the years, I've never...well, let's just say I'm no Jimi Hendrix.

Lonnie Mack — His big hit Memphis introduced me to funky guitar. His down home mix of gospel, country, R&B, and rock music as displayed on the classic album The Wham of that Memphis Man inspired Stevie Ray Vaughan. 

Howard Roberts — In rough parallel with my interest in Lonnie Mack, I discovered that there were funky jazz guitarists, too. HR's slinky style of "greasy" guitar is still a pleasure (for me) to listen to.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band — Powered by Butterfield's electrifying (and electrified) "blues harp" (aka harmonica) and Michael Bloomfield's unique electric slide guitar stylings, this was my introduction to electric urban blues Chicago-style. And that led me to many other electric blues discoveries such as the phenomena of British blues and Texas-style blues a la Johnny Winter.

Jimi Hendrix — What can I say. The whole world of rock music changed when his Are You Experienced? album was released with the great hits Foxy Lady and Purple Haze. There are many faster and better guitarists in terms of technique (Steve Vai, Buckethead, Tony McAlpine), but he was, many say, the first musician to play electric guitar vs. merely electrified guitar. If he'd done nothing other than All Along The Watchtower he'd be in guitar pantheon forever, but he gave us so much more.

Baden Powell — No, not his namesake, the founder of The Boy Scouts. This Baden Powell was a Brazilian guitarist/singer/composer who created a unique blend of classical, flamenco, and jazz guitar infused with native Brazilian rhythms, backup instruments, and melodies. I was once asked for my "desert island 10"... Ten albums I'd want to have to play if I found myself stranded on a desert island (a very strange desert island with an electrical system). I even surprised myself by saying "Any 10 Baden Powell albums." Yes, his music is that listenable. If his was the only music I had for the rest of my life, I'd never grow bored.

There's my list. Where's yours?

Tags: desert, island, list, music

Views: 474

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK Marc I really liked that.  I particularly love that way of playing guitar, I really liked the lyrics, and the vocals were pretty cool too.  Good call!

btw I couldn't get your link to work for me so I searched on youtube.  I think you used a 'mobile' link so here is the standard one.

Stranger on the Shore? Not Yackety Sax?

Good heavens its the Benny Hill music!  I had no idea that was its name!  Can't remember how many times I heard that as a child watching Benny Hill with the family.  Wouldn't that be a hoot to play at a funeral! :)

Personally, I wouldn't want my funeral to be a somber event.

One of the James Bond films starts out with a funeral procession in New Orleans, all doleful and sad.  Then suddenly everyone flings off their mourning gear and starts dancing and cheering.  I was quite young when I first saw it, and I do remember thinking that that was the way to go. So maybe Stranger on the Shore, abruptly interrupted by Yakkedy Sax is the way to go.  Good call.

Unseen what song(s) do you want played at your funeral?

After the gun thread it will probably be quite a celebration...

I kid.

Oh!  Wouldn't it be funny if you pick that awful repetitive Hamster Dance music?.  (I wont post a link to it because I can't bear even two notes of it)  You could have a 10 minute version, with something screechy like Skrillex (sorry, Skrillex fans) in the background and they'd all have to sit there and endure.  Oh now that would be evil....

Hamster Dance? We can't possibly be talking of the same thing.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/siege-on-hamburger-city-mw0000971335

Hamster Theatre-Seige on Hamburger City
Track 9. Hamster Dance

Although my favorite is actually Track 4. Bean Dance.

Hamster Dance   I couldn't click on your link because I was trying to avoid hearing it.  Now I found it and I wish you much merriment :)

Nice work Robert. Music to have died by.

My stuff might be better described as music to commit suicide to.

Unfortunately the computer that has the finished tunes on it is inaccessible to me at the moment. But the closest thing to a funeral dirge I have would be this organy snippet early on. My stuff has a tendency to be 'busy' at times, thanks to Bach, the bastard.

http://www.gorgg.org/ogwd/GORGG-CD/Inexperience192.mp3

That's just downright cool, Marc. Man, I struggled to learn Bach's little fugue in Gm and had it at call for a while. Us keyboardists have the option to go organic with a piano or organ, synthy or full out orchestral...! When you get access again, please shoot me some other originals !

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service