And now, as they say in Monty Python, for something completely different (from my usual twaddle).

I was thinking recently about the music that floored me and changed me and my perception of music. It's happened to me several times. In order...

The Ventures — Prior to their classic instrumental Walk Don't Run, like most kids I was primarily interested in pop vocals. They got me interested in the electric guitar. I've enjoyed electric guitar music ever since. However, while I've owned a few electric guitars over the years, I've never...well, let's just say I'm no Jimi Hendrix.

Lonnie Mack — His big hit Memphis introduced me to funky guitar. His down home mix of gospel, country, R&B, and rock music as displayed on the classic album The Wham of that Memphis Man inspired Stevie Ray Vaughan. 

Howard Roberts — In rough parallel with my interest in Lonnie Mack, I discovered that there were funky jazz guitarists, too. HR's slinky style of "greasy" guitar is still a pleasure (for me) to listen to.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band — Powered by Butterfield's electrifying (and electrified) "blues harp" (aka harmonica) and Michael Bloomfield's unique electric slide guitar stylings, this was my introduction to electric urban blues Chicago-style. And that led me to many other electric blues discoveries such as the phenomena of British blues and Texas-style blues a la Johnny Winter.

Jimi Hendrix — What can I say. The whole world of rock music changed when his Are You Experienced? album was released with the great hits Foxy Lady and Purple Haze. There are many faster and better guitarists in terms of technique (Steve Vai, Buckethead, Tony McAlpine), but he was, many say, the first musician to play electric guitar vs. merely electrified guitar. If he'd done nothing other than All Along The Watchtower he'd be in guitar pantheon forever, but he gave us so much more.

Baden Powell — No, not his namesake, the founder of The Boy Scouts. This Baden Powell was a Brazilian guitarist/singer/composer who created a unique blend of classical, flamenco, and jazz guitar infused with native Brazilian rhythms, backup instruments, and melodies. I was once asked for my "desert island 10"... Ten albums I'd want to have to play if I found myself stranded on a desert island (a very strange desert island with an electrical system). I even surprised myself by saying "Any 10 Baden Powell albums." Yes, his music is that listenable. If his was the only music I had for the rest of my life, I'd never grow bored.

There's my list. Where's yours?

Tags: desert, island, list, music

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beethoven , Bach , Mozart . That too ,would be my ranking as well .

Television theme songs. Which is mostly alarming, when you're talking about Save by the Bell and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But then there's MASH.

As an archaeopteryx, mine would be, "Come Fly With Me" - I suspect yours would be, "I Ain't Got No Body" --

No. Flying Purple People Eater

I wrote my own death march...Nobody is allowed to hear it until I am dead...

death march

Wow, that was awesome.  I'd ask you if you wrote that all by yourself, but since I've just heard it, I imagine you are now dead. (I'm so tempted to add R.I.P......)

Well, thanks, and well, somehow I remain alive! I'll have to write a second death march. This time it won't have as many mistakes. Still recovering from a broken finger. I recall you are a led zep fan..recorded this with my GF's daughter.

led caravan

I like her voice, it reminds me of Rumer.  I would like to have Acker Bilk's Stranger on a Shore played at my funeral (if I  don't outlive everyone I know, which is ultimately my plan).  The first time I heard it I was at an ice rink at the age of seven, and I just sat down in the middle of the rink and cried because the music was too beautiful to bear.

How the hell did you break your finger, or don't I want to know?

Strega, you know how to pick em..."stranger on a shore" has a similar effect on me. I associate more than a few songs to the roller skate rink (e.g. David Essex and Rick Derringer come to mind). The broken finger was initiated playing volleyball and finalized a week later by climbing through a shed window. I know enough to stay away from any sort of rink these days.

Explanation for broken finger duly initiated...  well, close enough :)

Re Stranger on a Shore:- really? I've never met anyone else who felt moved by it the way I do.  I do remember my (9 year old) brother was fascinated by my reaction, and on discovering we had the single at home, dragged my parents and me to the gramophone so he could show them my face when he played it.

Ok here is mine. Chris Trapper Keg on my Coffin.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RuKuHHNjFc4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch...

Strega you don't want a dry eye in the house do you? I'm hoping for a chuckle in between the tears.

Warning there is a religious statement in here, that is if you believe the afterlife is a pawn shop.

Oh, bloody marvelous!  I used up all the tissues I had in the library, cleaning up after a cartoon from Arch in my inbox this morning caused the mother and father of all coffee-snorts. I think I'll go grab another box before I play this...

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service