According to the big bang theory this universe is like a bubble/balloon that is expanding.  Can there be multiple bubbles/balloons.  You or I do not exist in any of the other universes, each is unique.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see why they'd be mutually exclusive. There could be multiple versions of each balloon in n dimensions.

Interesting thought experiment! What do you imagine is in between bubbles?

I will say anything that is NOT matter.  Don't want that pesky gravity thingy getting in the way and start distorting everything.

@Jeremy Myob Timeless exist between bubbles. Worm holes. That's what M-theorists have said, anyway.

It is 'suggestive', but not 'known'.

I am not really 'sure' if I am just a brain in a box, with a very icky VR-FOX feed!

The recent (possibly Nobel prize worthy) discovery of gravitational waves and cosmic inflation-- scientific evidence that the universe expanded in the big bang from a tiny point to immense size in a few trillions of a second-- means there is now conceptual support for other universes by process of elimination:

"It's hard to build models of inflation that don't lead to a multiverse," Alan Guth, an MIT theoretical physicist unaffiliated with the new study, said during a news conference Monday. "It's not impossible, so I think there's still certainly research that needs to be done. But most models of inflation do lead to a multiverse, and evidence for inflation will be pushing us in the direction of taking [the idea of a] multiverse seriously."

But, promising or not, it's still conjecture. The award of a Nobel prize, or even a nomination, or just the astonishing realization that the universe came into existence in less than the wink of an eye, will ensure the push for more research. There are other ways to investigate the multiverse concept, such as looking for evidence that our universe collided with another at some point in the distant past. More research ideas will come. They always do.

It also doesn't matter. When Europe was the world, the religious crackpots said God created it. When science revealed the Earth was a globe, the religious crackpots said God created it. When science revealed the Earth wasn't the center of the universe, they (after making a considerable fuss they would later apologize for*) gave thanks to God. When science revealed the solar system was one of billions in the Milky Way, they gave God the credit. When science revealed the Milky Way was one of billions of galaxies in the universe, the crazies praised God for all his wonders. When science revealed the universe originated with the big bang, once again it was the same old cry: Goddidit. 

Now what do you suppose will happen if or when science discovers evidence for a mulitverse? Will the religious crazies say, Gosh, we were wrong all along, our God hypothesis serves no purpose! Or will they simply move the bar again and staple God to the multiverse, as the latest and greatest scientific accomplishment or discovery?

*In 1991, the world's most powerful crazy was thoughtful enough to apologize to men like Galileo and Giordano Bruno some 400 years after his church incarcerated the former and burned alive the latter.

You are obviously taking this way to serious.  I was just throwing a thought out there to see if it would stick.

So . . . I digress

According to MIT cosmologist Max Tegmark, there are four levels of parallel universes:

• Level 1: An infinite universe that, by the laws of probability, must contain another copy of Earth somewhere

• Level 2: Other distant regions of space with different physical parameters, but the same basic laws

• Level 3: Other universes where each possibility that can exist does exist, as described by the many worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics

• Level 4: Entirely distinct universes that may not even be connected to ours in any meaningful way and very likely have entirely different fundamental physical laws

When I first heard of the 'inflation' model I thought that there was a serious problem concerning the expansion exceeding the speed of light for that first few seconds. I have still not heard/read an explanation.

I had wondered if the 'C' limit had not crystalized, along with the rest of energy/mass as it emerged from the 'bang'. If the 'C' limit is just one more 'law' that emerges, giving some degree of 'identity' for each emergent universe, would this not also create different ways to indicate the existence of 'other' universes? Just speculation on my part.

Could a signal from 'other bangs', be also available to us? If 'C' is variable, would this allow 'leakage' of a signal?  

Regarding the conflict between the inflation model and the speed of light, the general reply, I think, is that the physical laws we know were likely not in effect for a while at the very beginning of the Big Bang.

Interesting, but what makes the decision for 'restraints' to emerge?

'Restraint' ~= 'Law'. 

Regarding the conflict between the inflation model and the speed of light, the general reply, I think, is that the physical laws we know were likely not in effect for a while at the very beginning of the Big Bang.

As I understand it, what you're saying about special and general relativity breaking down in describing the big bang is correct. However in general relativity, cosmic inflation and the speed of light are not considered to be in conflict. C describes the speed of light through the vacuum of spacetime. But in the big bang, spacetime itself, which has no such speed limit, expanded faster than the speed of light.

There was once a point made during a conversation about 'C'. A case was made that the 'point' of intersection between two yard sticks, connected at one end, then turned into each other, can exceed 'C'. Since this is geometric/geometry issue, and not directly 'material', could this be a visualization tool for the 'inflation'?

I didn't know that general relativity encompassed inflation. I though inflation was anathema to general relativity. 

Any physicists in the house?

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service