A Republican Texas Judge has ordered a lesbian couple to live apart or give up custody of their children. Judge John Roach of McKinney, Texas gave Page Price 30 days to move out of the home she shares with Carolyn Compton and Compton’s two children from a previous marriage because he does not approve of Compton and Price’s “lifestyle.”

Judge Roach placed a “morality clause” in Compton’s divorce order, which forbids Compton from having anyone she is not related to “by blood or marriage” in her home past 9:00 p.m. if the children are present. Texas does not recognize marriage equality so Compton cannot live with Price if she wishes to retain custody of her children.

More...

That's one more backward judge from jerkwater, USA. Last I heard, The People's Republic of Texas had not yet closed its border crossings to homosexuals. If the appeal doesn't work out maybe Price and Compton can move to one of the 15 free states in the US. Then they won't have to choose between either having each other or their children.

Tags: Equality, Marriage

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet he'd prevent women from talking to anyone of the opposite sex if they weren't related by "blood or marriage," too.

On the other hand, could this case leave open a possible appeal or lawsuit against the state of Texas that could potentially go to the Supreme Court saying that since the state won't recognize her marriage to another woman and she has been harmed because of it that the law is discriminatory? If that happens, talk about being able to use someone's ignorance against them.

On the other hand, could this case leave open a possible appeal or lawsuit against the state of Texas that could potentially go to the Supreme Court saying that since the state won't recognize her marriage to another woman and she has been harmed because of it that the law is discriminatory?

It certainly looks like it could be another Supreme Court case waiting to happen.

Another Supreme Court-worthy scenario might involve Price and Compton moving out of Texas (say to Iowa) with the kids so they can get married. Child custody laws vary by state but generally they don't allow a custodial parent to move out of state with the kids unless it's for a good reason, like getting a job to support them. Would moving out of state for the sake of getting legally married qualify? The court order requires it after all. What happens then? Would an Iowa court force them to move back to Texas if it found that was the reason they moved?

What a disgusting, hateful, shameful mess.

DOH !

(I) n Denver it's illegal to mistreat rats.

What do they do? Catch them then release them in NYC?

Undocumented aliens? Yes. Rats? No - I'm guessing they release them on that happy farm where my parents told me as a child that my dog went and is still romping and playing to this day.

in Georgia, it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket on Sundays.

Well about damn time! It ought to be illegal everywhere - that's what inside jacket pockets are for --

"and it's against the law to put livestock on a school bus."

That sounds like an interesting story.

Even if they promise to ride in the back of the bus?

In Toronto it is illegal to drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on Sunday.

I guess I'd better stay out of Toronto, my horse isn't feeling so good --

I, on the other hand, am feeling no pain.

Cat Ballou 

Great Movie, that horse out acted everyone...and Lee Marvin was damn good as well. :)

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service