So sometimes i don't make it to the forum as much as I'd like, so I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

However, I was reading an article on www.randi.org (if you don't know it, you really should) about cognitive dissonance and how Leon Festinger tested his theories of cognitive dissonance on a UFO cult. Here is the quote from the article:

"He tested his theory by studying a UFO cult that believed that there would be a great flood on December 21, 1954, and that a flying saucer would save them.  When December 21 passed with no flood and no flying saucer, the members of the group became even more dedicated to their beliefs.  This is because most of them had given away everything they owned and had given up everything to their belief in the prophecy.  They told themselves that their sincere commitment stopped the flood from happening, and that this belief proved that they were right. (Festinger, et al. 1956)"

This just made me think of the May 21, 2011 doomsday folks. Since may is fast approaching and I am certainly not making preparations for the end, I thought it would be interesting to see what predictions you have for what they'll say after it comes and goes?

Perhaps we could make a pool out of it. We all place our bets on what their official excuse will be and the winner gets.... something... a shirt or.. something. haha

(also.. I placed this under what I thought was the appropriate category... please don't delete it.)

Tags: 2011, 21, cognitive, dissonance, doomsday, excuses, may, predictions, theories

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting thoughts. I'm partial to "It did happen, but we were not righteous enough to bring up to heaven" when they will begin to push their FINAL date of October 21, 2011.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 37 minutes ago. 183 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 3 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.