Marissa Mayer Ends Yahoo Work-at-Home. Sit at Your Desk or Lose Your Job...What's Your Opinion?

For a little background try this article and this one. You can google up much more. 

Unless you're just 20 years old or less, it won't seem like all that long ago that Yahoo was the go to search engine and was used by many as their homepage. Then Google came along. Propelled by a better search algorithm and an email program possessing an anti-spam algorithm that to this day borders on magic. Any antispam is going to let a little spam through...the key is not to call anything spam that isn't, and in that regard Google may still be the best. It's so good that I no longer check.

Marissa Mayer was a key part of Google's success. 

Mayer joined Google in 1999 as employee number 20 and was the company's first female engineer. During her 13 years with the company, she was an engineer, designer, product manager and executive. Mayer held key roles in Google Search, Google Images, Google News, Google Maps,Google Books, Google Product Search, Google Toolbar, iGoogle and Gmail. She also oversaw the layout of Google's famous, unadorned search homepage. In her final years with Google, she was Vice President of Local, Maps, and Location Services and, before that, Vice President of Search Products and User Experience. (source)

Many women (and men) see her edict as an attack on working-at-home in general as well as the trend toward flexible work scheduling. Others say let's see what happens. Everyone knows that it is her job to save a dying company. Desperate times can call for desperate measures. 

Will her policy drive Yahoo's best minds to leave (possibly to Google?) or will it cull out the slackers?

Is it temporary until the company is turned around?

Will it be liberal as the culture at Google is, with people allowed to bring children and pets to work?

What do you think? Can Yahoo be saved? Is this policy key to doing so? Or is it a big mistake?

Tags: Google, Yahoo

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that seems to be missing from the "no work at home" edict at Yahoo is a "Let's wait and see" attitude. It's very divisive.

Particularly offended are Yahoo's telecommuting moms. They resent the fact that Marissa Mayer has her own nursery while they feel they're going to have to find nannies or day care for their children or quit. (I'm not so sure that Ms. Mayer won't provide in-house nurseries much as Google does). At any rate, they may be forgetting that Mayer is trying to SAVE their jobs and as such might deserve a perk they don't.

Ex-Yahoo employees say she's right, that a lot of telecommuting abuse was going on, with people collecting money for minimal work while they worked on their own projects, some of them using company confidential info to potentially compete against Yahoo.

Mayer's past tells us that if anyone knows what s/he is doing, it's her.

I doubt the wisdom of her directive.

Doug, I didn't really want a poll. I wanted some reasons for people's positions.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas 16 minutes ago. 112 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 46 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 6 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 10 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service