A few years back scientists were able to find a way to extract the green fluorescent protein (GFP) from a jellyfish. They won the Nobel Prize in chemistry, and the result since has been that they’ve been able to make all KINDS of things fluorescent. Yes they really do glow...check this out... Everything from bacteria growing inside artwork, to monkeys, frogs…you name it, it can become fluorescent.

So I’m curious first of all if you all were aware of this? I wasn’t until today…If you could make something fluorescent what would it be? If this was patented into a product that you could buy and then make whatever you want glow what would it be…and yes I do mean ANYTHING….use your imagination…

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start...I've always wanted a pink Harley Davidson. I would like to deck it out so that it glows in the dark... the slideshow also listed above gives and idea...Check out the pics. (see the next arrow at the top) It's pretty incredible...I think...

One of the first things they did was make a rabbit glow.. and recently a house cat

How about offerring it to christians as giving them a "Godly and Pious Glow" then we atheists would know at a glance who to avoid !

Maybe Spider Goats so their silk would glow? Some of my fronkeys already do!!

It's kind of a hard question because you have to think in terms of, "what do I want to Bling? It's not really a practical question, it's more..."That would be AWESOME if it glowed!"

I would chose a part of my own anatomy that for most of the time remains covered.

Just for my own amusement.

I've always wanted a Light Saber!

Me, so I'd never be in the dark again.

When radium was first isolated, they loved its glow attributes so much, it was painted on teeth, and all sorts of manufactured items.  When the Radium Girls (the ladies who worked in the radium factory) started falling to bits and complaining, the manufacturers tried to blame their sickness on syphilis rather than stop their radium production line.  There's a brief wiki synopsis here

I remember as a child, having a pot of "glo-paint" which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be around these days, so I'm not all that keen to play with 'glo' stuff any more.

I really liked the artwork in the slide show. I'll take a picture like that of a huge tiger and paint it on my wall with bright purple and black lights....hell yes!

@Judith - good thinking, then we could spot them a mile away, and watch our backs :)

Fingertips.

I thought of that last night after the globe in my bedside lamp blew out and I couldnt finish the chapter I was reading.

That would be awesome! We'd go back to reading from line to line with our fingers.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Jimmy 1 minute ago. 169 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.