I was in a conversation with someone who came with a verse from Quran,
This verse says as in English "Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?"
You can find it here : http://quran.com/21/30
She says the Quran proved scientific facts 1400 years ago, concerning the "Big Bang Theory" and no creature ever has no water in it.
I searched about the "Water Bear" or "The Tardigrade" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade). it is a creature that can go without food or water for more than 10 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce. but in the end it has some water in its body, and even viruses are made of H2O.
How do you respond to that ?
How do you respond to that fact? Well, quite simply, it is correct (as far as we know at this time). All the forms of life that we know of do indeed consist, at least in some part, of water. This was written in the Quran a few thousand years ago. Is this proof that Allah is real? No. It's proof that the Quran contains at least one true fact.
The Quran states many many things. Some of these observations are indeed true. Many are not. Many are unverifiable stories. In Sura 21, many facts are mentioned as evidence of god including:
* god knows everything that is said throughout heaven and earth
* many cities were destroyed in the past and these cities contained unbelievers
* other messengers were sent before Muhammad
* These messengers (prophets) were mortals
* unbelievers were killed but the prophets were not killed (until they died or were killed)
* the quran was sent down by god as proof of god
* heaven and earth exist
* night and day exist
* all people die and do not come back to life
* mountains exist and there are passes between the mountains for roads
* the sky exists as a protective ceiling
* good and evil exist
* men who ridiculed the prophets died
* Noah, Abraham, Job, Joshua, Aaron, Lot, etc. existed and there are stories about them where they were saved from destruction.
How many of these statements prove that a god exists and that Allah is the one true god? In my opinion, none of them.
There are other ancient texts that also include true facts. What does this say about them? What does this say about the Quran?
The religious will latch on to the most vague and ambiguous statements and somehow attribute them to their god. It's confirmation bias at its finest. These people come to the table with their minds already made up.