I want to hear which you think is better, real reasons please. Not just, well I think Mac is stupid and for hipsters..or Aw PCs are for poor people..or crap like that. Thank you :)

Views: 1004

Replies to This Discussion

I thought my 250-meg hard drive with my old Mac LE was a horror story, but I added extra memory and boosted it, but 4K of actual memory beats anything I have to offer, hands down! You are the horror-story winner! Congrats!

Not horror-story - just old.

You load your deck of cards into the computer and pressed "Start". No operating system - each card took its place in core until the program was loaded. 

B 333 (branch to core position 333) started the program. 333 because 1-80 was the card-read area, 101-180 was the card punch area, and 201-332 was the print area. Areas above the card-read and card-punch areas were usually used as registers/accumulators. At 333 you started by initializing your work areas, registers, etc. then read the first data card.

There were huge rooms full of boxes of punched cards - 4000 in a box, floor to ceiling. We also had sorting machines with 12 output trays. You sorted a myriad of cards on one column, save the output, then sort them all  on the next column, etc.

The only horror story was dropping a box of cards. :-)

I design computers for avionics. I use PowerPC RISC processors for our embedded designs (instructions per watt is good), so I was concerned when apple moved over to intel parts. Turns out the telecom folks use  PowerPC's so they are still available. Now a European architecture called ARM is in everything. In any event I am sure there is not a whole lot of fundamental difference between an apple and other pc's anymore, since they use the same processors and RAM,

The OS's are different in the consumer machines as are the cosmetics. If someone is willing to pay two or three times the $ just to get a machine that looks cool and belong to a rather smug community of early adopter spendthrifts, I think they are stupid. As for the OS's, most of the bugginess of Windows is gone now, and having owned and used an Apple computer for a year or so, I can tell you it had its own problems.

Owning a PC, one has vastly more software choices, often including free software which is more than up to almost any task the average user may need. I'm doing my taxes with free software. I have Open Office's suite installed, and freeware allowing me to save any document as a PDF. I play movies with VLC Media Player. I pay for specialized photo processing software, but only because I take photos on an industrial scale, and even then it costs less than $100.

VLC and Open Office are both available on OSX and Linux. I can create a PDF from any document without additional software in OSX, but free PDF creators and convertors are available for the OS, as is tax software.

Many things are cross-platform these days. There are differences in what is available to each OS, but in most cases there are equivalents on all systems. Gaming may still be the largest exceptional category where Windows has a much larger availability of compatible games, but as a casual gamer who is fine with consoles, I don't really keep track of these things too closely.

It's looking like OS's are becoming irrelevant as a consideration more and more.

I really wish Apple had NOT gone with Intel, as now I have thousands of dollars worth of software that won't work on an Intel machine.

Actually, our first Mac was an SE. We didn't get the Mac SE30 until 1989! It came with a whopping 40 megabyte hard drive. Our IBM Personal System/2 Model 50; before the Model 70, came with a 50 megabyte hard drive. Oh the memories!!! LOL….

Do you remember Quarkxpress? Leaps and bounds beyond Aldus Pagemaker and anything Microsoft put out at the time. Most publishing houses, in New York City, turned to it exclusively when handling our publishing files off disc.

Remember Hypercard? Had fun with that little program and my kids. Made flash cards of the alphabet with voice overs. When it got to the letter "M" i inserted a picture of a monkey and when my son Steven clicked on the little speaker he got, "M" is for monkey, like Steven". His eyes opened wide and he just started laughing. He was five.

Apple has always produced good software, but over the years the PC world has caught up, and many of the leading programs for Mac are now available on PC. Photoshop, for example.

I still have QuarkXpress! As well as Adobe PageMaker!

I've used both and I have to say I prefer Mac (OS X Mountain Lion to be more precise). 

I know Windows has come a long way from its previous OS systems and good on them. But my preference of OS is mac. Its faster, less prone to get viruses, has better applications in my opinion. For incidence I literally cannot stand using Microsoft Word, its a terrible word processing application. Apple Pages is far superior in my opinion. And lets face it Microsoft Internet Explorer is the worst web browse to ever be created. 

Apple also has superior applications when it comes to web design, video editing and image editing. Which is perfect for me as a web design student. So I'm very happy to be using mac over pc

I present you with my personal award - use it in good health!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service