I want to hear which you think is better, real reasons please. Not just, well I think Mac is stupid and for hipsters..or Aw PCs are for poor people..or crap like that. Thank you :)

Views: 1009

Replies to This Discussion

Well, let's see.

Mac OSX is FreeBSD pegged to ex$pen$ive proprietary hardware. Jobs essentially took BSD UNIX software that was available free of charge and added a dash of lipstick, plus a whole lot of vendor lock-in at a hardware level.

PC hardware is cheap and open-standards based, or has multiple competing standards. Running on top of that hardware you typically have Windows which, besides being ex$pen$ive and as secure as a wet paper bag, is software-based vendor lock-in.

Or, on that same el cheapo PC hardware, you have GNU/Linux. Which is open source, much more secure, free of charge, has thousands of free software applications (also free of charge), available in hundreds of specialized versions, and easy to use.

In the Mac Vs PC debate, I choose GNU/Linux. I'm sure some others here make the same choice as well.

Awesome reply, thank you. You would be surprised how often these kinds of debates devolve into name calling and finger pointing with no reasoning behind any of the replies.

I must give credit where it's due.

The Apple marketing department did a great job convincing consumers that overpriced hardware, glowing translucent plastic, and vendor lock-in on the most restrictive proprietary consumer computer system in the world... was sexy.

Microsoft went the other route, thanks to its competitors. Thanks to the civil suits they filed against Microsoft, most of the world was convinced for a while back in the late 1990s that it had no choice but to buy Microsoft products. When that happens, your marketing department doesn't have whole lot of selling to do.

I agree (on a conceptual level). In fact my computer is dual-boot Win8 and Ubuntu. Over the years this is the third time I've tried Ubuntu. I really have tried. I have trouble understand the GUI, but that's just a matter of getting used to. My problem is that CORE shit just falls over. I feel like I'm running Windows 3.0.

I have a 28-year-old son - a real Linux fan - but he's living in Japan and sometimes you really just have to show somebody the screen to demonstrate what you've done.

NEVERTHELESS. The question should not be limited to Windows or Mac. Linux MUST be part of the decision - especially with the recent release of a Linux that runs a touchpad OS but, once you plug in a  keyboard, mouse, (and probably decent-sized screen) it becomes a desktop computer - a REALLY sensible idea.

Maybe I need to get one of those and also a Dummy's Guide for it.

Just upgraded to Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and remain thankful each day for that guy in Belgium (?) who invented Linux a couple decades ago. 

It's a no brainer to remain w/ Linux when all aspects are considered. 

lol! they forgot "right click"

This humour is too old. You can right click. You can left click as right click, and right click as left click. You can swipe and tap with one, two, or three fingers along with other gestures. I don't do that though. All that fancy clickin' is for hedonists on the road straight to Hell.

Only machine I ever saw billowing smoke was a MacIntosh plus.

Only machine I ever had to reboot every morning by crawling under the table because it was locked up so hard I had to pull the power plug, was a mac.

"It just works," my ass.

I did a little customer service for Apple a while ago. I can tell you that Macs can go kaput after just a few weeks and some of them arrive DOA. I have friends with Macs and I've heard their gripes about both their machines and Apple's Geniuses.

BTW, here's something you should know. Apple physical stores and their online stores are two different businesses. If you buy an Apple product online and it goes on the blink, don't bother taking it to a store for a replacement or refund. You'l have to ship it back even for an even steven exchange.

Yeesh

Of course I try not to buy ANY electronics from someone I can't punch in the face when it goes wrong.  Not because I'd actually do so, but because it is so much easier for an online retailer to blow you off or drag their feet resolving your complaint.  But when a neighbor's kid phrased it that way I found it a perfect summation of my own policy.

I would be the last to believe that you and i had anything in common, but I, too, did Apple customer service, and I never encountered a dissatisfied customer.

RSS

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service