Okay I now that this is going to seem kind of strange.

My name is  Doug. I am a former atheist who is now a Bible thumping Jesus Freak. I am also a former journalist and currently run a facebook community for Christians.

Tomorrow I want to start a thread called "Ask the Atheist" where believers can engage with non-believers. This is not- IS NOT- an effort to try and convert anyone. Instead it's about building a community where people can talk about issues from every different perspective. The thread will go up around 10 am EST on Facebook...

The thing is I just need one Atheist to answer the questions. I suspect they will be along the line of : did you attend church as kid, are your parents religious, when did you tell them about your doubt, how have your encounters with Christians been- do they rub you the wrong way, or they always trying shove God down your throat.

I personally only know a few members of our on line community. But all of them have been very respectful. So if you are free (can be in front of a computer) tomorrow mid morning please let me know.

Sincerely

Dopug

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I glanced at the thread.

The guy who asked the first question seems to be slowly rolling into a sermon.
"no explanation for God for me...to me he was ..is...and always will be...i walked many paths of religion and i am born again 5 yrs..." and so on.

Just from his first response it is clear he, and I don't know how many others are more than willing to settle for GODDIDIT.

If they plan to bring evidence to the conversation, I will gladly participate, but if we are going to stick to faith and feeling... no thank you.

well it looks like it was more of a flop. the questions really didn't come. But I want to than Josiah for going on the site and interacting with us

Frankly I suspect you and Josiah go back a lot further than this - I know a tag team when I see one.

Try Atheist Universe, they might be a little more gullible over there --

Isn't there an Atheist Facebook site you could link yours to, so that you can all interface in a Facebook way?  (the grammar and spelling on Facebook makes me wince).  If you cant find one easily, try searching for "Ifuckinglovescience" because that is certainly one of the very few Facebook pages I enjoy, and it is nice and godless.

@doug

Strega is right, "I Fucking Love Science" or "Global Secular Humanist Movement" would both provide you with a good number of atheists to talk to on Facebook.

Or you can also try "The Thinking Atheist" or the "Richard Dawkins Foundation"

There are plenty of Facebook related places you can try this on that might work better than it did here. A quick search can provide you with the info needed, but I hope the ones we posted are a good start for you.

He could create a whole new FB page, called 'Theist-Atheist Dialogues'. If they can't talk with each other directly it could be turned into Monologues. Think 'Vagina Monologues', for Theists and Atheists. LOL

Thanks for trying to build some bridges. Neat idea, I would have been interested is what the dialogue would have looked like. 

Yeah it is a good idea in theory, I've just seen something like this been tried before and it didn't work out well. Hence my skepticism. 

My first response was "Oh, not another. What is this? some sort of 'Ex-Atheist Of The Week'" thing?

Now I think I've figured you out. We're helping you with a term paper, right?

If you're not trying to convert us, you're not a very good Christian. Christianity is an evangelical religion. You're SUPPOSED to try to convert us!

I think BattyMan and Boobin have left the building - things didn't turn out quite like they'd hoped.

Wait, wait, which one am I?

You're almost intelligent enough to figure that out for yourself --

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 13 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service