Okay I now that this is going to seem kind of strange.

My name is  Doug. I am a former atheist who is now a Bible thumping Jesus Freak. I am also a former journalist and currently run a facebook community for Christians.

Tomorrow I want to start a thread called "Ask the Atheist" where believers can engage with non-believers. This is not- IS NOT- an effort to try and convert anyone. Instead it's about building a community where people can talk about issues from every different perspective. The thread will go up around 10 am EST on Facebook...

The thing is I just need one Atheist to answer the questions. I suspect they will be along the line of : did you attend church as kid, are your parents religious, when did you tell them about your doubt, how have your encounters with Christians been- do they rub you the wrong way, or they always trying shove God down your throat.

I personally only know a few members of our on line community. But all of them have been very respectful. So if you are free (can be in front of a computer) tomorrow mid morning please let me know.

Sincerely

Dopug

Views: 930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So why look to the Bible for that Josiah, when you can find it in the writings of Confucius, 300 years BCE, and in the works of many other philosophers? Why do you need religion to be humane?

Hitler was very religious - how did that work out for everyone?

"Who says I am not under the special protection of God?"
-- Adolph Hitler --

*:-h wave

I wouldn't look to the Bible, I agree there are much better sources. And I don't think, and didn't say that you need religion to be humane. I was just pointing out that what had been said about books didn't make sense. 

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum 

In my example, Josiah - interesting choice of names for a leader of an 1100-member atheist group - I fail to see the fallacy. You implied there were teachings in the Bible that could make us better people, I demonstrated that though there are likely teachings there that could improve our behavior, if adopted, many who have professed to accept that Bible in its entirety, have amply demonstrated that it has done them no good.

I can find as many guidelines to good living in a volume of Emily Dickenson poetry as I can ever find in the Bible, and don't have to wade through volumes of hogwash to find them.

Are you sure you're an atheist?

Archaeopteryx,

If you are going to respond to things I didn't say while ignoring what I was talking about then this is not a dialog. And I will not waste my time in dueling monologues. 

Good day sir,

Josiah

Ooooh, touchy --

Interesting, Blaine, "Josiah" only joined TA 16-17 hours ago. Suppose doug sent him an SOS?

Oh wait, you've gotten my interest again. This is fantastic. What is our secret agenda?

Too little, too late, you've lost mine. Go back to your flock, this board doesn't need a faux atheist. Or stay, as you like, but I suspect your effectiveness has diminished significantly.

If others treat you poorly out of blindness, I will try and shine a light. But if you see that I am acting blindly, please show me the way.

Now this is a statement lifted directly from your blog.  Do you think that it is a true reflection of your approach here?  You join a club, TA, and almost immediately pick arguments with members who are greatly valued amongst our existing forum posters.  Why is that? 

I take your point, I have behaved poorly here, thank you for pointing that out. 

My pleasure --

Say, are you related to Capt. Beefheart?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.