Okay I now that this is going to seem kind of strange.

My name is  Doug. I am a former atheist who is now a Bible thumping Jesus Freak. I am also a former journalist and currently run a facebook community for Christians.

Tomorrow I want to start a thread called "Ask the Atheist" where believers can engage with non-believers. This is not- IS NOT- an effort to try and convert anyone. Instead it's about building a community where people can talk about issues from every different perspective. The thread will go up around 10 am EST on Facebook...

The thing is I just need one Atheist to answer the questions. I suspect they will be along the line of : did you attend church as kid, are your parents religious, when did you tell them about your doubt, how have your encounters with Christians been- do they rub you the wrong way, or they always trying shove God down your throat.

I personally only know a few members of our on line community. But all of them have been very respectful. So if you are free (can be in front of a computer) tomorrow mid morning please let me know.

Sincerely

Dopug

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And you still haven't revealed my secret agenda which I remain curious about. 

I guess I can play.

“can something be brought into life if life wasn't there to start the ball rolling so to speak?"

Whether this is in reference to the origin of human life, or the origin of the universe, the answer is the same.  While science cannot yet provide an answer to these questions, that does not make an all pervasive, invisible sky daddy a credible answer in any way.  It is better to live with a degree of ambiguity, than to live in fantasy.

I also note that it is interesting that a complete answer is required for the origin of the universe, yet no such requirement is made for whatever god is posited as that origin.  Special pleading isn’t just a logical fallacy, it is an exercise in hypocrisy.

“can something be brought into life if life wasn't there to start the ball rolling so to speak?"

LOL

In that case we should have pointed out that God didn't create life, it existed forever. 

At any rate, it's kind of like "Can you make a pie if there wasn't pie to start with?" Once you realize that "life" isn't magic, it's just a rare state that can happen given the presence of certain antecedent conditions and circumstances. But given those conditions and circumstances, it's as inevitable as water turning to ice given certain conditions and circumstances.

@Milos Cakovan - Yep, jesus was a ghost at some stage - man's imagination knows no bounds.

@josiah vanvilet - Well, there you go, you are taking exactly the theist path, pick what you like and ignore the bits you don't like. Which is OK, it is just that I, personally, me, cannot ignore the bad bits, when the good bits are also attributed to the blokes who also commit atrocities. If you are able to do that, good for you.

I also, just don't have the patience to pick out the good bits, or to decide for my moral code, which is good and which is bad.

Some people want to play with snakes and drink poison - good or bad

Prince of Peace said - But now if you have a purse, take it and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.  Luke 22:36 - good or bad

Prince of Peace, again - And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them - Jer 13:14 - good or bad

So,do I ignore the ten commandments, not enough morals and ethics there - not enough there to me engaged, or to think they are wonderful rules to engage my life. I, personally, me, would like to go through the other 633 commandments, but, yet again, don't have the patience, and they will be just as dumb no doubt.

So, who chooses what is good in the bible, don't care who, actually. I have my moral and ehics code, don't need to cherry pick a book, written over hundreds of years.
People who do read the bible and find it appalling, vicious, terrifying, misogynistic, already have their moral codes well in place, that is why they find the theists books of every persuasion, lessons in history, and how superstitious, old, tribal, illiterate men of the day conducted themselves, which, by my standards, just not good enough.

Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens.

I've added that, just because I like it, and it is true.

As you are probably aware alot of  people use real names on facebook sorry to be a downer not me personally because i don't care who knows I'm an Atheist but Facebook seems a very bad forum for such a request opens one to being targeted by nutjobs and fundys some might say, also those Atheists that live in not so understanding communities could be adversly affected ....

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 29 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 8 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 19 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service