Okay I now that this is going to seem kind of strange.

My name is  Doug. I am a former atheist who is now a Bible thumping Jesus Freak. I am also a former journalist and currently run a facebook community for Christians.

Tomorrow I want to start a thread called "Ask the Atheist" where believers can engage with non-believers. This is not- IS NOT- an effort to try and convert anyone. Instead it's about building a community where people can talk about issues from every different perspective. The thread will go up around 10 am EST on Facebook...

The thing is I just need one Atheist to answer the questions. I suspect they will be along the line of : did you attend church as kid, are your parents religious, when did you tell them about your doubt, how have your encounters with Christians been- do they rub you the wrong way, or they always trying shove God down your throat.

I personally only know a few members of our on line community. But all of them have been very respectful. So if you are free (can be in front of a computer) tomorrow mid morning please let me know.

Sincerely

Dopug

Views: 938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love Emily Dickinson I just thought I would mention that to you I agreed with your post as well.

One of my favorites is,

"I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?"

So, Sarah Jane Hall, Hi, I'm nobody! Who are you? Are you nobody, too?

"Then there's a pair of us—don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

"How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!"

right on...that is my fav

Here is the first question

"wow cool ..i just dont understand how they think there's nothing greater then themselves
how can something be brought into life if life wasn't there to start the ball rolling so to speak?"

But then how did the first life start - the question only "answers" the second start of life, not the first.  The answer often given is that their god (I am referring to abrahamics) always existed..."but then you've not answered the question...silly boy!"

Does that question translate to "What created god?"

Here is the answer.

There is probably a lot of stuff out there greater than us. We only assert that the idea of "god" is false.
As for the second part of the question; if god started life, where did god come from? And I will not accept the "He is eternal and was always there" crap because that is the same as saying that something came from nothing. The big bang did not come from nothing, we simply don't know what happened before it.

The reason we do not believe is because there is overwhelming evidence in favor of the world existing just fine without the need for a god, and very little evidence for the validity of any god or any holy scripture.

I am generally a friendly atheist, I don't hold grudges against those that follow their own belief as long as they leave me be and I enjoy debating reasonable people about religion.

That being said, the chances of finding reasonable religious people is highly unlikely, especially on a site like Facebook. I don't see this working out well. You may have a few who respectfully ask questions and then the rest will attack and threaten, even if they do so passively. Even those that engage properly with said atheist will eventually turn nasty when aspects that they hold their entire faith on are held to question. People get angry when they hear what they don't want to.

So far, only like 6 posts, nobody has been rude or pushy. 

6 posts you say?

Are you the atheist taking part? I wish you luck my friend and I hope no one threatens you as I suspect will happen.

Yes, me to some extent, and about 1200. 

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service