Okay I now that this is going to seem kind of strange.

My name is  Doug. I am a former atheist who is now a Bible thumping Jesus Freak. I am also a former journalist and currently run a facebook community for Christians.

Tomorrow I want to start a thread called "Ask the Atheist" where believers can engage with non-believers. This is not- IS NOT- an effort to try and convert anyone. Instead it's about building a community where people can talk about issues from every different perspective. The thread will go up around 10 am EST on Facebook...

The thing is I just need one Atheist to answer the questions. I suspect they will be along the line of : did you attend church as kid, are your parents religious, when did you tell them about your doubt, how have your encounters with Christians been- do they rub you the wrong way, or they always trying shove God down your throat.

I personally only know a few members of our on line community. But all of them have been very respectful. So if you are free (can be in front of a computer) tomorrow mid morning please let me know.

Sincerely

Dopug

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm curious why you say that you want just one atheist to answer questions.

That strikes me as something along the lines of a xianic ambush. Probably more of a maniac ambush.

I'd be interested in chirping in on some of the topics but like our good member Obfuskation stated above, they could simply come here.

I am not at my computer all day but I do spend most of the night with it in front of me doing something or other.

I'd also be kinda wary of doing all this on Facebook though. I'm very opinionated when passionate about something. Forums would be the preferred place for me. However I may give it a try.

But oh yeah, you only want one. It's decision time.

I'm with Robert.  I'm a godless soulless moral den of iniquity.  But you don't want me, you want "the One"

haha.

I am a Highlander. No doubt about that.

I don't have time to be the one. Plenty time to be one of the many.

Strega I love you, and no I do not mean that in a creepy stalker way what would be more accurate is I love your posts

Thank you - I've never had a creepy stalker, though - now I feel I'm missing out!

Another former atheist turned jesus freak.  How the hell does this happen?  If someone from this site answers your questions, you should come and answer ours.  LIke how the hell does this happen???

actually Jimmy I've already done that. I joined this site about a 18 months ago and started a thread called "ask a Christian." I don't know if it is still on this site, but basically I want to do the same now but in reverse

Jimmy here is the link to the thread I started here. It was actually called "ask a former atheist." I'd be willing to do it again. http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/ask-a-former-atheist?xg_...

Another former atheist turned jesus freak. 

That or the same braying jackass has returned using a different account, and has switched from 'writing a book' to 'posting on Facebook'. The rest is the same, including dubious claims of former atheism, promises not to convert anyone, and the emphasis on interactions between Christians and atheists.

The moderators can probably check his IP address and see if he's a multi. He may not be, but I suspect he is.

No, I've checked the Facebook history and the TA blog he posted - different guy.  However, he did get a full set of answers last time he was here.  Eight pages.  And oddly enough, he arrived and posted one blog item on 14th April 2011.  There was the usual "I feel it in my soul" stuff, some intelligent and surprisingly polite logical counterpoints, a bit of the Lord, liar, lunatic argument, and his last post to the thread and forum was 48 hours later, April 16th 2011.

So here we are, some 20 months later... Recycle, repeat.

I am guessing his Facebook followers are all bored to death with agreeing with each other and posting things like "Jesus is my life and I love him", and he is looking for something new to satisfy the needs of these evidently hypnotised people.

Facebook Christian page?  Not if you paid me

I get it. Same cookie cutter. Different cookie.

Maybe.

You may be right on the boredom stuff, but I will tell you how this got started.  A few days ago I reposted an article that was posted on CNN. It was an essay from an atheist mom who wrote why she was raising her kids without "the concept" of God.

I posted the link...and the comments started to come in and it became clear that most of the people on my site do not know an atheist. They live in such a Christian Bubble...and as a Christian... I don't think that's good. By the way I don't think it's good for atheist to live a bubble either. I think both sides benefit when they interact with each other... provided the interaction is civil and respectful (and when I am saying that I am pointing at believers... because I know they can at times come across as arrogant.)

Anyway What I want to try is either going to be brilliant or a complete flop...but it's not like I have money on the line, so I am going to try it all the same. I will serve as the middle man. I will post here and there- clipping and pasting their questions and your responses.. If it is okay I will invite them to this community- I don't have to do that, but some of you seemed to suggest that... and of course you are invited to join ours.

The first post, searching for questions will go up shortly after 10

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service