What if any limits should be placed on freedom of speech?

It has been well established you can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater and claim free speech (that isn't actually on fire).  So free speech is limited when it may physically injury others such as in the "FIRE" example.  

What other limits are acceptable?

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only in extreme situations should the courts become involved.(quite rare)

Not so. The case law on free speech alone is voluminous. 

(suck it up snowflakes, safe spaces are just PC bullshit and a start to wholesale censorship)  

That is a ridiculous red herring. 

Do you have any evidence or indication that the limits placed on free speech are causing erosion of liberty? I don't see a slippery slope. I dont even see an incline. 

That is a ridiculous red herring.

Jake, Colleges across the country are keeping folks from even showing up let alone speaking because they disagree with the speakers politics.  These are suppose to be the bastions of free speech.

They say these folks are "hate speech" and will make them feel unsafe.

Jake.... Many feel when POTUS Trump speaks it is "hate speech" and if they had a chance would not allow him to speak and censor him for being "hate speech".

Whether you agree with Trump or not he has every right to speak and labeling it "hate speech" to shut him up is terrifying.

Do you think that universities should be required by law to host *any* speaker?

If yes, please explain. If no, then you're invoking straw man, red herring or fear mongering by stating that these unusual cases of speech suppression will become oppressively commonplace, which would be *especially* ironic as long as alt-right pathology is in power.

Oh, and the labeling of some speech as hate speech is draconian? Come on, all it does in reality is hurt the feelings of your poor, poor alt-right snowflakes.

Do you think that universities should be required by law to host *any* speaker?

Absolutely not.... Only folks invited by the students, teachers or administration should be allowed. 

Come on, all it does in reality is hurt the feelings of your poor, poor alt-right snowflakes.

More I learn more I am attracted on anyone against PC culture and against stifling free speech. 

For these folks to be snowflakes they would have to  be afraid of confrontation. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

No. There is no shortage of radical right people geting highly offended and pulling hissyfits over what they consider offensive and an assault on their world views.

Screaming murder when a ten comandments plaque on government land is removed saying the tiny minority shouldnt be considered.

Hate marching through the streets teling all dissenters they will burn when some new type of marriage is allowed

Crying when free choice advocates defend free choice calling their ideas elitist and not worth taking seriously

Hyper ventilating when the lords prayer is no longer allowed in school yelling out shame to those who ask constitutional rights are upheld

Spewing red hot spittle when people ask for gender neutral spaces drowning outtheir requests with noise

Flaming outrage when immigrant amnesty is suggested and calling those who say it to shut up and stop being anti-american

Don't think for a second that toxic free-speech-negating lunatics are a radical left phenomenon. Those on the radical right are experts at it too.

Hey Davis didn't you just have a hissyfit?

Nice examples, Davis. Looks like they dazed some hissy nerves.
CDB please address the post rather than the poster. Thanks.

@Pope:

"Do you think that universities should be required by law to host *any* speaker?"

Yes for any University that is public or receives public funds, for private Universities NO.

As long as the costs to the University are covered with up front monies and insurance riders to cover any unforeseen costs.

If freedom of speech is not allowed at our Universities then freedom of speech has no meaning.

I agree with Gregg. If you cant have free speech on a university campus of all places then they live in an intellectually toxic and possibly destructive enviroment.

But...we should add the disclaimer that the speaker must be sponsored by a recognised student  group, elected student council member or a faculty member...not just anyone who wants to blab about whatever they feel like.

The second disclaimer is if you have very good reason to believe they will break the law while speaking...you can say no.

must be sponsored by a recognised student  group, elected student council member or a faculty member...not just anyone who wants to blab about whatever they feel like.

I say have at it and anyone can speak as long as civil and not advocating riots.  If they are too extreme folks just wont go see them so no big deal if they are given a platform.

Folks that break the law should be prosecuted, period. No matter what their beliefs or leanings.

RSS

Forum

Calling me kiddo?

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 16 Replies

I am super scared - we're headed for WW3

Started by Belle Rose in Politics. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 28 Replies

What Do Canadians Think is Important?

Started by JadeBlackOlive in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 6 hours ago. 33 Replies

Blog Posts

Monoceros - the unicorn

Posted by Brad Snowder on February 18, 2017 at 5:45pm 0 Comments

New wave of terrorism

Posted by Noon Alif on February 16, 2017 at 9:54am 2 Comments

© 2017   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service