What if any limits should be placed on freedom of speech?

It has been well established you can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater and claim free speech (that isn't actually on fire).  So free speech is limited when it may physically injury others such as in the "FIRE" example.  

What other limits are acceptable?

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

" the lefties You're using that word like a pejorative."

oh,i suppose

i'm just hating most humans this week... it'll pass. well, i'm also trying to speak familiar-like with CDB. there's still hope there

"It is beyond my understanding why America is reduced to red and blue."

I think it's like you mentioned recently, we're stuck with a polarizing, two-party system. Maybe Bannon/Trump can build their own third party now. Problem solved. Hmm, what color... Black! Like ISIS.

pejorative  

Pope i had to look that one up...(having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force)

Well shit yes I was using "Lefties" in a pejorative fashion.  Thank you for noticing.   It is the same fashion I use "Right Wingnuts".  Both are extremes of "The Left" and "The Right" for me, connotatively speaking.

Maybe Bannon/Trump can build their own third party now

I am not too hopeful Trump will be the one to build a new republican party, but i flat out love how he has busted up the old one. 

I hope we can find someone that is not a "lefty" to do the same to the democratic party.

IMHO Trump is definitely not a "right wingnut" that would be teddy cruz.....

Davis in response to your lefty post and disdain for my choice of words, see my reply on lefty to pope... it is not to me the same as left wing viewpoint.

Sorry for my lack of clarity..... However, glad to elicit a response.

If you want to check out just how varied the left can be...check out the European Union Parliament make-up hereYou'll note that each country sends multiple left wing parties to the parliament and they group together in various super-clusters. There are arguably four super-clusters of left parties focussing on either environmental problems, social and economic equity, mixed-progressivism, marxism and far-left.

As you can see...to even form a coalition you need at least four super clusters. Each cluster itself comprising a minimum of seven parties meaning you'll need a minimum of 28 parties to form a tentative coalition.

Here is the Belgian chamber of representatives

Fifteen different parties for a country with only 10 million people. Eight of those parties are on the left spectrum.

And then there is the Indian Parliament. The lower house (sort of like the House of Representatives/Commons) has 29 parties

The left is extremely diverse. As is the right.

Love the colors... and even love the variety of types of folks the left encompasses.  I feel this is healthier and more reflects the real world.  Folks for the most part are not red and blue

WOW...I'm on acid those colors are cool. :)

Secondly, compare that rant to the KKK and other hate groups that actually incited murder.

Pope.... these were individuals, celebrity's, easily identifiable that are making horrific vile violent statements.  Not generic asshole unidentifiable KKK assholes. 

I have to agree with  Jake LaFort

Hate speech in which the objective of the speaker is to intimidate, harm, kill or drive out minorities by using virulent and invidious lies and propaganda.

I have to agree with  Jake LaFort

Hate speech in which the objective of the speaker is to intimidate, harm, kill or drive out minorities by using virulent and invidious lies and propaganda.

Monica I do not disagree with you or Jake in principle.  Where I differ is in practicality.  Who makes the choice at what speech is inciting actual hurt?

We must not shut down speech just because we disagree or perceive something differently.

I don't know why you repeat the same criticism. Who makes the decision? The Courts do! This is precisely the domain of courts to promulgate precedent where questions of fact exist.

Defining the limits of free speech is for the US Supreme Court and if Trump has his way SCOTUS may decide for other nations as well.

I don't know why you repeat the same criticism. Who makes the decision? The Courts do!

Only in extreme situations should the courts become involved.(quite rare)

I flat out believe in free speech, even when i strongly disagree with someone's point of view.  (suck it up snowflakes, safe spaces are just PC bullshit and a start to wholesale censorship) 

I feel limiting free speech is a very, very slippery slope on the way to tyranny.....

RSS

Forum

Proof Near Death Experiences may in fact be real

Started by Violeta Babacan in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ on Wednesday. 1 Reply

Belief

Started by Chris Russell in Small Talk. Last reply by Ron Humphrey Jul 29. 1 Reply

Agnosticism

Started by Chris Russell in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen Aug 3. 12 Replies

I'm not an atheist anymore...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by lloydleroimiller on Friday. 20 Replies

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service