It's been an interesting couple of years. Growing up in a missionary family, going to church as well as attending christian school have been, for lack of a better word, interesting if troubling. So it is nice to meet other people of a like minded state. You sort of become alienated when everyone you know and associate with are christians.

So I'm rather excited to meet atheists as you can imagine. So hey, I'm Ashik. 

Tags: atheism, atheist, excitement, introduction, new, relief

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally understand. I used to be one of those brainwashed adolescents. I thank Odin...or Batman (they both seem pretty cool).. that I was finally able to throw off those archaic and outdated beliefs. :)

Hello Ashik, and welcome!

Hi Ashik. Welcome to TA.

Welcome!!!

Hey Ashik, welcome on board :)

Hi Ashik, 

And everyone else.

I guess I'm fortunate that my parents didn't shove religion down our throats, when we were children. At least, not me. I do remember that my nearest siblings had to go to Catechism and Sunday school. By the time I came around, I'm sure my mum had had enough of trying to get her kids some religion. If we went, we went; if not, fine: She let us find our own paths. It just took me a long time to realize and accept what I truly believed and already knew in my heart.

I think the men in our family have all eschewed religion, and the women only go for special services. A couple of my sisters have tried to instill religious beliefs in their kids, but I'm sure it hasn't taken in most cases. I would have to take a survey of several dozens of my relations to know for sure.

It's kind of ironic that I now live in an area of the U.S. that is rife with "Christians" whom have beliefs and mores that couldn't be considered "christian" by anyone's terms. I think that that is one of the main problems with religion... people professing an ideal, but only using it as a tool or weapon, or only taking those parts that are of benefit to them; much the way the religious powers in Medieval Europe did by editing and publishing  bibles to suit the purposes of "the Church."

People want what is comfortable. A simple prayer at no charge for a free trip is a wonderful fantasy. So they look only at the parts of their religion that show them that the ticket is still valid. It is sad that people believe in what they hope for instead of reality, it causes so much hate. 

I totally agree with you Ralph, especially on using religion as a weapon without actually following it, and that has also some cherry picking included I bet that some people would like to follow religion precisely, but they can't because we live in the 21st century and they will have problems dealing with the rest of society if they actually apply all of their outdated teachings of the bronze age.

I spend a lot of time asking Christians about stuff from the Old Testament.  "They say, yes well that was the old testament."  

I look at them for a moment and ask "Do you honestly believe that once upon a time that was a good, rational and moral thing to do, really?" 

The conversations often terminate abruptly.  

I'm an oold atheist, but I didn't 'go public' until I retired, for business reasons.  Family & friends knew it. 23 years ago, I'd had enough. I began replying to letters to the editor from the zealots & preachers. And they were published.. It was FUN poking huge holes in their 'arguments'. Although most of my friends were Xians, we just didn't talk about religion.They came to respect my non-belief, & I accepted that they were 'believers'.  The net has been a huge help in sharing our ideas.  FFRF has been a big help in 'growing' our numbers.    The future is ours !

Yes, for me I can talk and argue about it with some people, generally the more distanced from my life the better, but it usually isn't discussed with the people I am closest too.  

Truth is the future and we happen to have quantitative and qualitative evidence to support the claim that we know it. So yes, the future is.  

Welcome, Ashik.  You will definitely learn things here - I know I have.

But from where I see it, Odin is a Siberian husky who live with me, and is only interested in books if they are edible (so far, no losses...thank, well, Odin!)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Scott D. 1 hour ago. 180 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.