What lessons in life were taught to you by movies? Maybe you were taught a lesson but a movie line or premise taught you the moral lesson. The human condition that gay couples faced in Philadelphia may have brought you from acceptance to full on empathy. Maybe it was a fairness lesson. For me, I'm 36, I grew up in white bred NW Washington. When I was kid, if you saw someone with extra melanin, it was because they were Indian, the fishing kind up here. It was a stunning lack of diversity. I come from a family that had generational racism one side. The preceding generation isn't hateful, but sometimes ignorant. Maybe the joke goes too far and the room rolls their eyes. As a result of this, I was 22 before racial equality clicked for me. Sure, I was fair, but 25 seconds of a movie made me say, "I have to change my thinking." A Time to Kill has a scene where Samuel Jackson says to Matthew McConaughey, "You see me as Different". It struck me because McConaughey is trying to help him and be equitable, but there is more to the story. It changed me. Not a great teacher, parent, friend or experience, but a movie. What movie has changed you? 

Here's mine 3:35 to 4:00

Tags: Ethics, Lessons, Movie

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Children's movies do have a habit of portraying science/ skepticism in a bad light. I was watching The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (worst movie ever) with some kids I was sitting for last night and the skeptic teacher is portrayed as a real jerk.
I guess it was moreso that Mr. Bad Dad was made a scientist for this plot, and his science was the main reason for the family divide. Why did they have to do that? Plenty of bankers get little time with their kids and in fact I think that was closer to one of the more famous versions of the Tink chronicles, going into Peter Pan and such...
The leaky roof he was always trying to plug up was just an incident in the movie that took more time from his life, and that he needed extra help with but couldn't find. As you can probably imagine even before I say it, Mr. Genius Scientist Dad could not fix his leaky roof problems on his own -- and one night Ms. Fairytale Princess fixes it for him, kind of like an unseen helping force that, ""You don't have to prove... you just have to believe.." in. I guess I didn't say that before, but yeah, the thing he considers a fairytale fixes a major issue in his life, and then goes on to "fix," his and his daughters relationship by revealing herself to him. It's all a message I think.
I grew up watchin 7th Heaven and Degrassi. They pretty much cover every social issue there is. I'm not sure how much they actually shaped my beliefs though. And I watched Scooby-Doo alot too, that might've helped make me a little skeptical of the superntural. Although I did watch plenty of supernatural horror movies too. Meh, who knows.

Blog Posts

Poverty Trap

Posted by Belle Rose on October 12, 2015 at 3:14am 12 Comments

Omnia Mea Mecum Porto

Posted by Belle Rose on October 6, 2015 at 3:22am 4 Comments

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service