What do you think about LGBT adoption?

Tags: adoption, bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it's true that only children with a mother and a father are abused (by one, or both of them). I think that for a long long time there have been only official heterosexual guardians or parents. If we haven't heard of a child being molested by his moms or dads, that doesn't mean that all homosexual people are angels. Their sexual orientation doesn't change that much how they think, or who they are. But if there would be a few big scandals about children abused by homosexuals parents we would see the laws changed pretty quickly and fanatics with pitchforks and torches all over. But people get past a child being molested by a priest very fast... or worse, blame the devil.
A great question has been raised in that IVF topic. And I adapt it to this topic.

Should religious people be allowed to adopt? Or, to generalize it. Should religious people be allowed to be parents?

As indoctrination of a child with religious bullshit can be labeled as child abuse, the question would be answered from the start with a big NO.

So why should sexual orientation matter more than religious beliefs? Probably just because the laws we're made/forced by religious people...
"Should religious people be allowed to adopt? Or, to generalize it. Should religious people be allowed to be parents?

As indoctrination of a child with religious bullshit can be labeled as child abuse, the question would be answered from the start with a big NO."

Each time I tried to formulate a cogent respopnse to this I became really rather pissed off.

My parents are/were religious - they managed to raise 5 kids into independent, reasonable well rounded adults. My maternal grandparents were religious - they raised 8 kids into independent, reasonable, well rounded adults. Are you now going to tell me that my parents or grandparents would have been bad adoptive parents? Based on the fact that they were religious?

You are stereotyping a large section of society based on one aspect of thier lives. The irony is palpable.
The irony was intentional. I was just trying to point out how things would be if we would be the radical ones. I meant to write this after what is already there, but I think the point is more clear without the specification.
I am 100% in support of any couple or single person adopting provided they of course go through the necessary steps to do so (like clearing a background check and being educated in exactly what it means to adopt ect...).
I would happily adopt a lesbian or gay child...wait, is that what you meant?
LGBT (or GLBT) is an initialism referring collectively to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. - Wikipedia

LGBT adoption is the adoption of children by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people. - Wikipedia
Transgender is a general term applied to a variety of individuals, behaviors, and groups involving tendencies to vary from the usual gender roles.
"Transgender" does not imply any specific form of sexual orientation; transgender people may identify as
heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, or asexual. - Wikipedia

Now, how do you feel about a transgender fellow adopting a child?
Good one! Some people forget about the Transgender community. One of my closest friends used to be a lady in a lesbian relationship. He has now gone through gender reassignment & is male, they are legally married & living as a heterosexual couple. If he can claim the same rights as everyone else why can gay people not? Gender is a private, personal matter it is no business of any government official, or anyone else for that matter!
I don't see that there should be any discussion on the subject! I know that some people are bigoted & prejudiced, but I would be outraged & ashamed to think that any LGBT couple would be denied the right to adopt children unless they were genuinely unfit to be parents.
I think that topics like this should be discussed especially because some people are bigoted and prejudiced. There are new atheists every day that still have religious convictions. To help them, we should discuss anything. I myself do not have religious convictions but I am still confused about certain topics and I would be very disappointed if I would not have who to talk about them even on this website.
Sorry didn't word it very clearly... I didn't mean we shouldn't talk about these things, I think it's great to keep learning! I just meant in my opinion it's an open & shut case. They should be able to adopt. End of.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service