I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius

Views: 247

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Second warning, PC

If you willfully admit you aren't reading other posts before you right another, you are in violation of our guidelines. 

If you feel that you want to stop reading responses, then please stop responding as well. 

Please do not submit very long posts, say what you have to say concisely, precisely, and simply, and of course clearly.

And no videos please.

For latecomers please read my previous post; here, I will reproduce it, even though it will make this post a bit longer that I wanted.

[list]http://www.thinkatheist.com/xn/detail/1982180:Comment:449813

Reply by Pancake Croissant on December 10, 2010 at 6:03pm

I have not read all your messages because of the ones I have read they are all frivolous. Don't be frivolous.

Start with telling readers here what is your meaning of the word, unguided.

Here, I will reproduce my introductory post for the thread:

-----------------

I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

Pachomius

---------------------

That post is found at the start of page one of this thread.

Tell you what, if you just start your reply with this line:

"By unguided I mean..."

Then I will read your message, but as soon as I see you are lapsing into frivolities, I'll stop.

Pachomius

[/list]

Some of you are saying that the nose in our face is the result of unguided process because it is the product of evolution.

Since evolution is supposed to comprise two phases, first random mutation and second natural selection, and it takes millions of years to result in a new species, and it is supposed, I mean evolution, is supposed to be scientific, I have two questions for you:

1. How can any event which is random be ever a preliminary event to another event which is not random, when the second event is already vitiated by the first one which is random, for being connected to the first one which is random? The second and succeeding events are in a way contaminated by the first event which is random.

2. How can evolution be scientific when it is not falsifiable? And it is not falsifiable first because of random mutation and second it takes millions of years to lead to a new species. If you ascribe to millions of years for an explanation of anything that is now stable, then you can explain everything no matter how absurd, and no one can do an experiment on it for it takes millions of years which is an indefinite duration of years.

Pancake Croissant

it takes millions of years to result in a new species

This isn't accurate. nylonase feeds on nylon which is a petroleum product. As a consequence, it could have only speciated in the last 100 years.

Question 1

I'll refer you back to nylonase. The bacteria existed in the pools of nylon. With a simple mutation that allowed it to use the nylon for a food source, the succeeding bacteria were more successful at surviving to reproduction due to being surrounded by food. They geographically pushed out the other bacteria.

Another example since you might say it's still bacteria and not accept the valid speciation example. Oceanic Islands don't have natural predators. How would a carnivore eat prior to animals showing up in Hawaii? So birds get there. They no longer have predators and food is abundant. They lose the ability to fly because it wastes energy and provides them with light bones which is detrimental. Now there are still birds that fly, it's just a matter of some using food sources safely on ground and others using food sources higher up. The two no longer mate and therefore they speciate.

Question 2

Evolution can be scientific because it can be falsified. DNA is a road map to our past. If you found modern ostrich DNA in me, it would falsify Evolution and possibly point to a creator whom spilled the DNA when he was whipping me up in a bowl. These mutations can be seen in multiple ways. The Telomeric Fusion of Chromosome #2 in humans that can be traced back and cross referenced to primate DNA is evidence of our relationship. If you didn't find this, then we couldn't explain the mutation from 48 to 46 chromosomes and Evolution would have a serious problem to work out. So Evolution and mutations are falsifiable through the records of DNA.

Excellent reply, Gaytor.  Unfortunately, you exceeded the word limit and you did not begin your post with "Simon says", therefore your entire post is disqualified, thereby proving God.

1.  Random in the sense of natural selection does not literally mean random (as in the type of random that has been proven to exist in quantum mechanics).  It means something that is not influenced by phenomena outside of the organism itself.  Genetic mutations may very well be traceable to molecular chains of events, but they're not directly influenced by how much food is available to the organism, nor whether climate change is underway.

2. It is perfectly falsifiable, and perfectly reproducible.  Google Endler's experiments in fish predators and prey,  Lensky's bacterial evolution experiment (there are others that I'd have to google to remember the names of the people involved).

It has been proven.  It can be falsified.  Accept it and move on.  If you don't, you're guilty of self-imposed  (inexcusable) doxastic bewilderment.

I do not read very long posts, so don't send very long posts.

Develop the skill of thinking so as to write concisely, precisely, simply, and of course clearly.

And I don't give time to videos and graphics ad also audios, let us communicate with written words.

Before you write try to choose a very sharp focus and determine the thrust, then rehearse your words before finally putting them to paper.

And also as soon as I see that a message is into frivolity, I skip to the next and next and next until I come to one which is not into frivolities.

---------------------

-------------------

I have asked you to give me your definition of the word unguided, and if you have ever come to the factual encounter with a stable thing that came about beautifully but unguided-ly.

Okay, no wasting time here, give me each of you, not into frivolities, very long posts, etc., an example of a stable thing that is still around which came about beautifully unguided.

Your nose, I suggest, the most convenient and readily available for you to ascertain that it is present in your face.

My position is that the nose did not come about unguided.

Because you cannot produce a nose unguided by yourself, and no one else whoever and whatever he is can either.

You say that evolution produced it unguided.

Then you tell me what is it to be an unguided process that can bring about a nose in your face that is still staying in your face.

But which you cannot produce one in the shop or in the most well equipped laboratory.

Anyway, suppose you lost your nose and the plastic surgeon has to fashion one for you, by reconstructive surgery, tell me briefly after doing some needed reading on how the surgeon goes about his job for you to again have a nose in your face.

Pancake Croissant

You produced your nose without guidance over 9 months in the womb, so your position is incorrect by definition.

(By "guidance" I am presuming you mean an external force, i.e. your imaginary god - and not the "guidance" of genetics and evolution, since you are pretty clearly incapable of understanding how they work.)

Also, if you're not willing (or able) to read long posts, gtfo of the forums and learn to read before coming in and demanding that we do all of your research for you, and then go to the trouble of condensing it to a form that your ignorant brain can process.

Guidance to my stock knowledge means direction and protection. So unguided means no direction and no protection.

Take this example, you are in the jungle and you have a guide, he is directing your travel and he is your protector, your travel in the jungle is not an unguided process.

The conception of a baby and its gestation in the womb of its mother is certainly not unguided, there is a program and this program is the guided process.

There is an agent overseeing the whole process and that agent is the same one who put together the program of conception and gestation.

No, that is not any example of an unguided process.

Pancake Croissant

"...or are you just going to waffle?"

I see what you did there.... :)

I was hoping someone would notice ;)
Good point. My apologies, Pancake. I get frustrated with intellectual laziness -especially on a grand, repeated scale like this one -but that's no excuse for name calling.

Huh. My original reply to you disappeared - anyway, yes, you're absolutely right. My comment wasn't necessary (and I fixed it). His ideas are exceptionally ill-thought out, poorly expressed and apparently immune to the veritable mountain of evidence people have provided - but that's no excuse for me to call him names.

Sorry, Pancake.

{Edit again - it didn't disappear, I just lost it in the endlessness of the thread. I'm full of fail today.}

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service