I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius

Views: 274

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Coincidentally, since I am suffering from a sinus infection right now, I was recently thinking about how un-intelligently designed the nose (and sinuses) is. I mean, how stupid is it that every time we get sick or suffer from allergies we have all this snot dripping down past our breathing tube making us choke and cough. And how messed up is it that snot should come out of our faces anyway? Gross and unattractive. Why not make it come out of our butts like most of the rest of our nasty bodily waste? Wouldn't it make more sense to store the snot in a bladder type organ until it is more convenient to dispose of? And what's with all the snot anyway? If the world were intelligently designed with humans in mind than why do we need to suffer from allergies and bacterial infections anyway? It's not like it is human sin that is causing that type of suffering. It is natural (i.e. God created according to theists). What kind of dick creates bacterial infections and pollen that make people sick and snot out their faces?
Of course there are perfectly reasonable evolutionary reasons for all this. Fat and salt used to be relatively rare and/or hard to come by for our ancestors so they really craved those types of foods. Nowadays fat and salt are abundant so our evolved fat and salt loving genes are a burden to us now (i.e. obesity epidemic).

There is also a hypothesis that goes something like this (if I remember correctly): once larger amounts of fat were introduced into the human diet (mostly through scavenging for meat at first) women were able to maintain more frequent estrus cycles. Rather than going into heat once a season, they started to be in heat pretty much most of the time. Unlike most other primates, human women are pretty much willing and able breed year round. Lots of babies. Fast forward. Humans overpopulate the world.

We were designed to crave high-calorie food because when we were "cavemen" we needed that type of food to survive when food was scarce.  Part of our biology that now doesn't serve us so well!

ROLF!!

And I was about to look up exactly that information if I didn't see it by the end of the comments.
You win Adriana! Unfortunately it's not cash or anything... you just kinda win... :)

This addresses exactly the implication being made by our theist trol...err...friend.

Yup! She's clearly awesome! Nose doubt about it!

No jean marie, it's still not simple enough. Don't forget, pancake points out that the nose is far too incredible to have no creator, but fails to notice that the alleged creator of the nose apparently happened by chance but that part we can ignore. I wonder whether the creator has a nose? Did his nose come about by chance?
Perhaps Mr Croissant - sorry, Saint Pachomius - would care to define their terms. What is an example of an unguided process and what about that process leads you to the conclusion that it is unguided?
My entire life is like that :)
This has made excellent reading. No pancakes left ?? If my nose runs and my feet smell am I upside down ?
Oh noes - I think my nose knows the smell of a troll.

@Garrison,

I wouldn't call Pancake a troll.  She's asserting an unpopular (on atheist sites) point of view.  It's difficult to admit to a poor argument . . . even atheists can be guilty of that.  Toss in her personal investment in her belief system and you've got the formula for obstinate denial.  This is a natural reaction and one that doesn't really surprise anybody with experience of the human condition.

TA welcomes everybody -- atheist or not.  That means they can post their points of view like everybody else.  If doing so results in one's inability to defend oneself, then one will probably look obstinate for lack of logical responses or conceding points to superior arguments.

Evolution is not a matter of opinion.  It's a fact.  It might be that God is the Prime Mover who created the universe and set the laws of nature in motion . . . thus eventually leading to life on Earth and for our very existence.  But we know evolution accounts for the diversity of life on Earth and we even have growing cosmological evidence that God wasn't necessary for the creation of the universe.

Regardless of whether or not some cosmic creator God is out there, what difference does it make to us if he's not part of the natural world?  Unless this cosmic creator God demands recognition or worship, he's irrelevant.  And any God who would be so petty as to demand recognition or worship is surely not a timeless, boundless, God.

And a personal God who actually intervenes in the natural world -- suspending laws of nature -- to perform miracles and answer prayers?  Give me a break.  You can't claim THAT and rationality simultaneously.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 41 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Brett 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Started by Lefty G in Small Talk. Last reply by Brett 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Lefty G 2 hours ago. 77 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service