I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius

Views: 246

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Pancake (I always wanted to start a phrase like this), the veracity of evolution isn't affected at all by whether you understand it or not. The fact that you don't understand it is solely the product of your brain's abilities to grasp simple facts. However, I assure you that biologists all around the world are studying evolution and it is very clear that it's true. So yeah, the nose evolved by processes unguided by a higher intelligence, but guided by the laws of nature. See, it all comes down to what we mean by unguided. Because evolution is caused by the laws of nature, it is not a random process, but not a supernatural process either.

Anyway, try to understand what natural selection is, and then, maybe you could learn about the other mechanisms behind evolution, speciation and so forth.

----------------
Think Atheist Website Statement of Purpose
1. Think Atheist is your safe place
2. to come out and learn
3. how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers
4. about your belief
5. that the world was not created
6. but is in its current state
7. because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes.
-----------------

Reply by

...evolution is caused by the laws of nature, it is not a random process, but not a supernatural process either...

Reply by Donne

Here is another example of an unguided process - water flow -

Radu Andreiu 1 day ago

the contemporary scientific theory of evolution just as such—apart from philosophical or theological add-ons—doesn't say that evolution is unguided.

God does not need to be an active participant in evolution IF he or she set up the rules of evolution correctly.

Reply by

...evolution is unguided but God might have set up the rules for evolution.

--------------------------

Well, very smart, but not adequately smart as to hoodwink thinking people.

Better tell the author of that text in your website homepage to do some re-editing ( in particular this line: because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes ) in order to conform to your smart manipulating of concepts and words and taking into account links to so-imagined learned but not necessary intelligently thinking and writing resource folks.

Here, ask the author of this line to revise the phrase "unguided processes," so that it is no longer nakedly unguided processes but representing what you guys are trying to hoodwink readers to accept as unguided when it is all guided.

Here is what you should do when you are facing intelligent readers, abstain from using the third person passive impersonal, like the following:

unguided processes

random mutation

natural selection

Meanwhile I am still seeking the smart dude who first used the phrase unguided processes; you guys try to imagine an empirical situation where an event is occurring on unguided processes: do it this way, collect any number of processes which the homemaker or the office worker or the construction laborer are engaged in everyday, take away their guidance so that they the processes are no longer guided but unguided, and see how these processes are going to end up with, like for example a bowl of soup, a sheet of document, a roof atop a house?

Pancake Croissant

PS Otherwise you can also convince people that pancake and croissant are due to unguided processes but of course possibly by rules established by God or but scientifically laws of nature, hahahaha.

doone 21 hours ago

----------------

Think Atheist Website Statement of Purpose

1. Think Atheist is your safe place

2. to come out and learn

3. how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers

4. about your belief

-----------------

Michel Poisson 41 minutes ago

Of course processes are guided. The proper question when examining any process whatsoever is WHAT guides the process. If you are personally thwarted by superstition and believe in an all-knowing omnipotent and supernatural entity that rules every tiny subatomic detail of the universe, whatever we can describe about any process, you will ascribe to that big "I" that rules everything.

-----------------

That is very good, you declare that processes are guided.

Before anything else what I want to see is language that is not self-contradictory.

Have I brought in God here?

I might have, but I don't think I have.

-----------------

In No. 7 the phrase unguided processes is a self-contradictory thought.

The prefix un in the word unguided should be removed, and at most if you don't accept God just add "without God".

So No. 7 will read like this:

7. because of complicated and beautifully guided processes [without God].

Yes, we are all after learning, but let us use non-self-contradictory language.

Pancake Croissant 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service