I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius

Views: 248

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

This has made excellent reading. No pancakes left ?? If my nose runs and my feet smell am I upside down ?
Oh noes - I think my nose knows the smell of a troll.

@Garrison,

I wouldn't call Pancake a troll.  She's asserting an unpopular (on atheist sites) point of view.  It's difficult to admit to a poor argument . . . even atheists can be guilty of that.  Toss in her personal investment in her belief system and you've got the formula for obstinate denial.  This is a natural reaction and one that doesn't really surprise anybody with experience of the human condition.

TA welcomes everybody -- atheist or not.  That means they can post their points of view like everybody else.  If doing so results in one's inability to defend oneself, then one will probably look obstinate for lack of logical responses or conceding points to superior arguments.

Evolution is not a matter of opinion.  It's a fact.  It might be that God is the Prime Mover who created the universe and set the laws of nature in motion . . . thus eventually leading to life on Earth and for our very existence.  But we know evolution accounts for the diversity of life on Earth and we even have growing cosmological evidence that God wasn't necessary for the creation of the universe.

Regardless of whether or not some cosmic creator God is out there, what difference does it make to us if he's not part of the natural world?  Unless this cosmic creator God demands recognition or worship, he's irrelevant.  And any God who would be so petty as to demand recognition or worship is surely not a timeless, boundless, God.

And a personal God who actually intervenes in the natural world -- suspending laws of nature -- to perform miracles and answer prayers?  Give me a break.  You can't claim THAT and rationality simultaneously.

I don't think being fun and silly is all frivolity. Are we supposed to be very serious and intellectual all the time? We are human, y'know. And it's unfortunate you don't bother to read all the posts, because

1. You might discover you like us. We're hilarious!
2. You might learn something. Every now and again, we sneak in something science-y and well-documented and interesting amongst all our frivolity.

Hey God, you missed a spot!!

Dear Pancake, let's discuss something else in our face, the eye. Can you explain how in all of our eyes, there is a blind spot? I'm sure you studied that in your science class. Now this is as simple an example as it gets, because I don't know, maybe you don't 'believe' in bacteria.

Now how would that come about if God created our eyes in His image, how would that serve in God's plan for man?

It can either be explained scientifically by the fact that the vertebrate eye developed in such a way that the optic nerve approaches the retina (light sensitive tissue lining the inside of the eye) from the front, therefore creating an interruption in the retina at a certain area as it does so,

OR by the fact that the intelligent designer missed a spot because he was too tired on the sixth day to give a crap really. Which does actually make sense, people are always careless and hasty on Fridays

The amazing know-it-all in the sky explanation always makes more sense to me.  Oh, wait, no it doesn't.

of course...like already mentioned, every nose is different but they all serve the same purpose. why two holes? so more air flows through...why is there hair inside them? because are bodies had to develop a way to stop dirt from entering our nasal passages. why do we have snot? same reason.

come on..this isnt even a challenging question, and im not even giving serious answeres

I have not read all your messages because of the ones I have read they are all frivolous. Don't be frivolous.

Start with telling readers here what is your meaning of the word, unguided.

Here, I will reproduce my introductory post for the thread:

-----------------

I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius 

That post is found at the start of page one of tis thread.

Tell you what, if you just start your reply with this line:

"By unguided I mean..."

Then I will read your message, but as soon as I see you are lapsing into frivolities, I'll stop.

Pachomius

You are the worst troll. Bossing us around will not work - have you ever tried to herd cats? If you would read the responses, you'd see your original questions have been answered again and again and again and again by numerous people who not only have evidence, they have sources to back it up. Try reading what we've said, frivolous or not (or try growing a sense of humor and realize that we all know you're wrong, we've all dealt with every one of your stupid arguments before and we no longer care to disseminate information that is freely available to every ID/creationist proponent who comes around demanding that we do all their intellectual work for them), and maybe you'll learn something.

I don't normally repeat myself, especially not for lazy people, but I'll make an exception:

"[The evolution of the human nose] is not apparently guided by some external, supernatural force or sentient will."

Genetic mutations and phenotypic variations, as well as environmental pressures and other natural selection factors are all, to the best of my knowledge, still subject to causality.  There are natural 'guides' (if you'll allow me to mince words)  that promote the genesis and propagation of increasingly functional structures (such as noses) over nonfunctional or dysfunctional structures.

I applied the word 'guides' just now to avoid notions that the universe is just some willy-nilly place in which anything goes if left unsupervised.  Typically, I would not use that word because referring to evolution as a guided process would convey they wrong meaning.  Guiding implies that there is a guider and that there is a willfully selected destination.  I have yet to see any compelling argument as to why I should make that assumption.  We actually do have compelling reasons to believe the opposite is true.

For the record, this post was just a bit of senseless rambling for my own gratification.

By unguided I mean... you came here to assert your beliefs, and Christianity asserts a single supernatural creator, therefor if that's the position you take, the burden of proof of said creator is on you.  If you can't establish that first, you can't assert it as the cause of the nose.

If you don't know what unguided is intended to mean in the context you ask about, then the intelligence that you purport to have that atheists somehow don't is vastly overstated.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service