I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

I read this text in your website:

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

You are saying that the nose came about by unguided processes?

Pachomius

Views: 264

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think being fun and silly is all frivolity. Are we supposed to be very serious and intellectual all the time? We are human, y'know. And it's unfortunate you don't bother to read all the posts, because

1. You might discover you like us. We're hilarious!
2. You might learn something. Every now and again, we sneak in something science-y and well-documented and interesting amongst all our frivolity.

Hey God, you missed a spot!!

Dear Pancake, let's discuss something else in our face, the eye. Can you explain how in all of our eyes, there is a blind spot? I'm sure you studied that in your science class. Now this is as simple an example as it gets, because I don't know, maybe you don't 'believe' in bacteria.

Now how would that come about if God created our eyes in His image, how would that serve in God's plan for man?

It can either be explained scientifically by the fact that the vertebrate eye developed in such a way that the optic nerve approaches the retina (light sensitive tissue lining the inside of the eye) from the front, therefore creating an interruption in the retina at a certain area as it does so,

OR by the fact that the intelligent designer missed a spot because he was too tired on the sixth day to give a crap really. Which does actually make sense, people are always careless and hasty on Fridays

The amazing know-it-all in the sky explanation always makes more sense to me.  Oh, wait, no it doesn't.

of course...like already mentioned, every nose is different but they all serve the same purpose. why two holes? so more air flows through...why is there hair inside them? because are bodies had to develop a way to stop dirt from entering our nasal passages. why do we have snot? same reason.

come on..this isnt even a challenging question, and im not even giving serious answeres

I have not read all your messages because of the ones I have read they are all frivolous. Don't be frivolous.

Start with telling readers here what is your meaning of the word, unguided.

Here, I will reproduce my introductory post for the thread:

-----------------

I am a Christian theist, and I am inviting atheists to talk with me about the nose in our face.

[quote] Think Atheist is your safe place to come out and learn how to have a dialog with friends, family, and strangers about your belief that the world was not created but is in its current state because of complicated and beautifully unguided processes. [/quote]

Pachomius 

That post is found at the start of page one of tis thread.

Tell you what, if you just start your reply with this line:

"By unguided I mean..."

Then I will read your message, but as soon as I see you are lapsing into frivolities, I'll stop.

Pachomius

I don't normally repeat myself, especially not for lazy people, but I'll make an exception:

"[The evolution of the human nose] is not apparently guided by some external, supernatural force or sentient will."

Genetic mutations and phenotypic variations, as well as environmental pressures and other natural selection factors are all, to the best of my knowledge, still subject to causality.  There are natural 'guides' (if you'll allow me to mince words)  that promote the genesis and propagation of increasingly functional structures (such as noses) over nonfunctional or dysfunctional structures.

I applied the word 'guides' just now to avoid notions that the universe is just some willy-nilly place in which anything goes if left unsupervised.  Typically, I would not use that word because referring to evolution as a guided process would convey they wrong meaning.  Guiding implies that there is a guider and that there is a willfully selected destination.  I have yet to see any compelling argument as to why I should make that assumption.  We actually do have compelling reasons to believe the opposite is true.

For the record, this post was just a bit of senseless rambling for my own gratification.

By unguided I mean... you came here to assert your beliefs, and Christianity asserts a single supernatural creator, therefor if that's the position you take, the burden of proof of said creator is on you.  If you can't establish that first, you can't assert it as the cause of the nose.

If you don't know what unguided is intended to mean in the context you ask about, then the intelligence that you purport to have that atheists somehow don't is vastly overstated.

Second warning, PC

If you willfully admit you aren't reading other posts before you right another, you are in violation of our guidelines. 

If you feel that you want to stop reading responses, then please stop responding as well. 

Please do not submit very long posts, say what you have to say concisely, precisely, and simply, and of course clearly.

And no videos please.

For latecomers please read my previous post; here, I will reproduce it, even though it will make this post a bit longer that I wanted.

[list]http://www.thinkatheist.com/xn/detail/1982180:Comment:449813

Reply by Pancake Croissant on December 10, 2010 at 6:03pm

I have not read all your messages because of the ones I have read they are all frivolous. Don't be frivolous.

Start with telling readers here what is your meaning of the word, unguided.

Here, I will reproduce my introductory post for the thread:

-----------------

Pachomius

---------------------

That post is found at the start of page one of this thread.

Tell you what, if you just start your reply with this line:

"By unguided I mean..."

Then I will read your message, but as soon as I see you are lapsing into frivolities, I'll stop.

Pachomius

[/list]

Some of you are saying that the nose in our face is the result of unguided process because it is the product of evolution.

Since evolution is supposed to comprise two phases, first random mutation and second natural selection, and it takes millions of years to result in a new species, and it is supposed, I mean evolution, is supposed to be scientific, I have two questions for you:

1. How can any event which is random be ever a preliminary event to another event which is not random, when the second event is already vitiated by the first one which is random, for being connected to the first one which is random? The second and succeeding events are in a way contaminated by the first event which is random.

2. How can evolution be scientific when it is not falsifiable? And it is not falsifiable first because of random mutation and second it takes millions of years to lead to a new species. If you ascribe to millions of years for an explanation of anything that is now stable, then you can explain everything no matter how absurd, and no one can do an experiment on it for it takes millions of years which is an indefinite duration of years.

Pancake Croissant

it takes millions of years to result in a new species

This isn't accurate. nylonase feeds on nylon which is a petroleum product. As a consequence, it could have only speciated in the last 100 years.

Question 1

I'll refer you back to nylonase. The bacteria existed in the pools of nylon. With a simple mutation that allowed it to use the nylon for a food source, the succeeding bacteria were more successful at surviving to reproduction due to being surrounded by food. They geographically pushed out the other bacteria.

Another example since you might say it's still bacteria and not accept the valid speciation example. Oceanic Islands don't have natural predators. How would a carnivore eat prior to animals showing up in Hawaii? So birds get there. They no longer have predators and food is abundant. They lose the ability to fly because it wastes energy and provides them with light bones which is detrimental. Now there are still birds that fly, it's just a matter of some using food sources safely on ground and others using food sources higher up. The two no longer mate and therefore they speciate.

Question 2

Evolution can be scientific because it can be falsified. DNA is a road map to our past. If you found modern ostrich DNA in me, it would falsify Evolution and possibly point to a creator whom spilled the DNA when he was whipping me up in a bowl. These mutations can be seen in multiple ways. The Telomeric Fusion of Chromosome #2 in humans that can be traced back and cross referenced to primate DNA is evidence of our relationship. If you didn't find this, then we couldn't explain the mutation from 48 to 46 chromosomes and Evolution would have a serious problem to work out. So Evolution and mutations are falsifiable through the records of DNA.

Excellent reply, Gaytor.  Unfortunately, you exceeded the word limit and you did not begin your post with "Simon says", therefore your entire post is disqualified, thereby proving God.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service