I was a little peeved by the benediction during today's Inauguration Ceremony for Barack Obama. Private prayer (though still unhelpful) is fine; but government-organized prayer is just wrong. I hope that in my lifetime this goes away as a standard for these types of events. 

"One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 

Thoughts?

Tags: and, church, inauguration, pledge, prayer, public, religion, state

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When the benediction started I pressed the mute button. I didn't time it but it seemed long. I survived by reminding  myself that xians must debase themselves. Often at length.

We evolved from pond scum and some of us have come but a short way. Because politicians need votes, I find it helpful to think of "panderingpolitician" as one word.

And this: One nation, easily divisible by dogma....

Wipe, flush, and consider the task finished.

I doubt any prayers were intended to placate a god, as much as they were to placate this country's Religious Right, who, though they took a severe beating in the election, are still a force not to be underestimated.

According to an NPR report the Republican's are not concerned about WHAT they believe. The problem is just the WAY they are saying it.

DUH!

I is about making a sale, staying in power, and keeping their true believers happy. Sadly it is doubtful that the Democrates are really any different. Sadly it all sounds like a contract with madness.

You will always play to the masses as long as the masses are kept ignorant

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Peter Mark Longdon 25 minutes ago. 8 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Rocky john 4 hours ago. 22 Replies

Marriage makes women fat?

Started by Logicallunatic in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 6 hours ago. 10 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service