I think it would be nice to have a thread of excellent quotes relating to religion, philosophy, morals, etc - the stuff we primarily discuss here - that we share here. These can be used for enjoyment, enlightenment, or a resource when you need that "just right" quote.

I have thousands of quotes that mean a lot by me; or better put, I have quotes by public figures who inspire and mean a lot to me.

One of those people is Thomas Jefferson; to me he is the greatest of the Founding Fathers (with Ben Franklin being 1.a.), and even with all of his faults I believe he was absolutely crucial for the success of this "grand experiment in democracy". Here are some of his quotes that I like concerning religion:

I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance or admit a right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others.

In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

The way to silence religious disputes is to take no notice of them.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

** Incidentally, I found these in a variety of places; however I also discovered that these are at BrainyQuote.com, which is an excellent quote site.

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought we already had one.

.....and a few more here....Loop you still about man???

"No one can sit at the bedside of a dying child and still believe in God." - Bertrand Russell

"All is well here in hell - Live is just a bagatelle" 

- Unknown 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service