Small talk seems the perfect category for this. I'll start with something I discovered recently. It's a quick and easy shortcut to preparing corn on the cob.

A Shortcut:

Assuming you've prepared the ear by peeling back the husk and removing the silk (best done under moving water from the tap), wrap the corn in a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes (might vary with the power of your microwave oven, mine is 1000 watts). Two ears? Three minutes.

When done, remove the paper carefully because it'll be boiling hot, and serve it as you would if cooked by boiling or grilling. 

Boiling is probably the worst way to cook corn on the cob, unless you are preparing it on a. Grilling is just as good as microwaving, but is a bit more trouble, especially if you're setting up the grill just to cook the corn.

A Tip (or two):

If you're one of the people who still boils potatoes rather than using some sort of instant potato mix and also likes to make homemade bread, save the potato water for making bread. One of my fondest memories was grandma's potato bread. Potato bread stays moist longer than ordinary bread and is just a bit more delicious than regular bread. Recipes for bread from potato water are abundant online if you just google on "potato water bread."

If you don't make bread with it, let it cool and feed it to your plants instead of tap water. 

A Secret:

Don't store bread in the refrigerator. Yes, while it will postpone the formation of mold, refrigeration dehydrates bread. Instead, divide the loaf into halves or thirds, keep one and wrap the other half or thirds in clear wrap, put them in freezer bags, and freeze them. And, yes, the double-wrapping is important. When you start to run out of unfrozen bread, remove some bread from the freezer for use next time. You'll hardly ever have moldy or dried out bread.

Tags: and, cheats, kitchen, secrets, shortcuts, tips

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It'll just make them angrier.

You can use an apple corer to chop onions very quickly. Cut the top off first, so that it sits still, then place the center ring of the corer over the root and press down. You'll have uniformly large cut onions perfect for soup, hamburgers or what ever.

I like that one! I wonder if you could make steak fry potato wedges that way, too.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service