Someone mentioned karma in a different discussion earlier today and that got me thinking - how many atheists out there believe in or dictate their lives with a consideration toward the idea of karma? 

Karma, as I understand it, is the idea that bad behavior begets bad experiences and good behavior begets good experiences.  However, I've heard the concept of karma described lots of different ways as well, so I'm curious, fellow atheists, what your definition for and opinion is of the concept of karma?

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe there is something you feel inside yourself; your conscious knowledge of what you do. That's where the idea of karma comes from. But, I do not in any way believe there is any supernatural, or otherwise, force or power that rewards good behavior and punishes bad. Indeed, many good people seem to get crapped on and many bad people seem to get rewards so the whole karma idea breaks down pretty quickly.
I agree about the origins of karma - at least I feel the same 'something' inside me.
That is the danger of waiting for Karma, God, or destiny to change things for you. But your step-daughter sounds like she could use some professional counseling. I hope she gets it and becomes more proactive in making her own fortunes.
My best friend works in a hospital and hears nearly every day comments such as, "Whatever happens is meant to be."

That is a sad outlook, IMO, but one that gels well with the God hypothesis. It's as if since they can't control all aspects of their life, they wish to cede control of it all.
I totally feel for the person that said she couldn't self identify as Buddhist. I was already turned off to western religion for it's obvious faults and downfalls before I moved to Thailand. Buddhism seemed like a good alternative.....until I became educated on what it's all about.
Karma is just another answer to the question "Why?"
Whether it's because "God did it" or "Karma dictates" or "insert whatever other excuse here." the real answer is no easier to swallow.
We are a number. We are a statistic in the flow of evolution. We are a beautiful assimilation of tiny parts that make up an organism, which is an entity within an ecosystem. Some of us are born with an evolutionary advantage, due to the construct of their genetic code. Some are born with an evolutionary disadvantage. Some are born on even footing and then, through the course of their existence, they are injured or become ill.
Every human that ever has been and ever will be exist only to propagate the good of the species.
Our higher reasoning abilities (again, nothing more but the product of evolution) has distracted us from this purpose. The species takes second place to the individual. When the individual is put before the species, we have a world with filled with pollution, needless violence and evil. True, we also have a world filled with antibiotics, art and space exploration, but in this world is a gap that comes as a price. We turn away from the reality of our purpose, and then must use religion and superstition to answer the very obvious questions.
It seems so silly for the only creature on the planet with such a developed brain.
Maybe we aren't as smart as we like to think we are.
There is no karma. There is altruistic behavior between members of the species for the greater good of the whole.
There is of course a balance in that too, though.
I might not have done some act of greatness in a past life to make me deserve my awesome bra cup size, but I make damn sure to tip well while at my local pub.
I might not have done some act of greatness in a past life to make me deserve my awesome bra cup size, but I make damn sure to tip well while at my local pub.

If atheism had a set of scripture, I would nominate this phrase as a primary tenet.
I think that it needs to be on a t-shirt! A really, really tight one.
A t-shirt? Why cover the evidence? I demand empirical evidence for this claim! I live in the "Show Me" state, for crying out loud!

That reminds me. When is Mardi Gras?
It's an easy example.
I'm too lazy to make up other tidbits of evidence, and the bra size thing is common knowledge, so I just go with it. It works! Why fix it if it ain't broken?
I support tit references! Takes the stigma away, in my opinion.
No stigma that I know of. But us males turn into boyish louts more often than not when tits are discussed. Or presented. Or thought about.
I guess I am drawing upon my lengthy time in the restaurant industry from ages twelve to twenty-six. Although my uniform was never skimpier than a t-shirt, I still found that being the one to call out men on their obvious attention to my chest gave me the upper hand. Particularly as a bartender, by recognizing my own sexuality it took away any power that certain lecherous patrons thought they could use to get under my skin.

Maybe this is not a stigma; I think that I might be misappropriating the word. I guess what I am trying to say is that I think tit references remove some of the necessary submission of women as sexual objects. Also, if you are curvy, it is infuriating how many people are inclined to discount the validity of anything that you might be saying. Sometimes, it seems like recognizing the physical aspect deflates its importance and allows the intellectual aspect to take center stage.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 21 minutes ago. 130 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 24 minutes ago. 13 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 4 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 25 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 10 hours ago. 202 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service