I wrote this as a post on the forum a little while back, and since then, I can't stop thinking about it. It's actually a pretty interesting thought to spring on theists, and I've heard a whole lot of pretty incredible (ranging from funny to really stupid) answers. If this is posted up somewhere else, feel free to let me know, as I'd like to hear as many thoughts on this as possible.

What if Hell ISN'T so bad? I mean, really, we're only getting one side of the story. God says hell is bad, so it is? What if god says chocolate
ice cream is bad? Do they then only serve it in hell? Heaven gets
vanilla? I like to think of Hell less as a place of punishment, and more
as a difference in opinion...

The thought process behind it is really simple, but seemingly powerful enough to possibly break through the layers of denial some believers live in. I'd like to hear what you guys think about it. In the meantime, though, I'm gonna keep springing it on theists, as it always gives me a good laugh.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, God's version of love looks like my version of hate, so maybe hell would be my idea of fun!
I'd rather reign in hell
than serve in heaven
Yes it is, i'm still reading it now and its not as good as i thought it would be, but then again i'm only in Book 3.
All the cool people are going to Hell and it's the place God has supposedly turned his back on and is going to ignore completely forever. Sounds like the only place in the universe I'd wanna be! :)
The god of the bible is often petty, vindictive, brutal, and vicious. Personally, I wouldn't want to share an apartment with such an asshole much less all of eternity. I'll go with hell.
The only testimony we have for God's honesty, is God himself. Hardly a convincing argument.
Especially since the purported Word of God is so inconsistent and irrational.
This reminds me of the Euthyphro Dilemma in that given the presence of supernatural lawgiver, "good" and "bad" are potentially arbitrary distinctions dependent upon the will of the lawgiver. If it is the Biblical God's distinction of "good" and "bad" that determines "heaven" and "hell," then I would not find heaven to be good as I am revolted by nearly everything that God condones.
I'm glad that you liked it! Here is a link to the full text of Plato's dialogue:

Euthyphro
By Plato

Another dialogue that you might enjoy is the Meno which contains, fittingly, Meno's Paradox. ;) This is an epistemological dilemma concerning how we know what we think we know; how do we know that we have attained the information which we were seeking if we did not already know what that information would entail? (Or something less clumsy than that, haha.) Here's a link:

Meno
By Plato

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service