Hello Fellow Freethinkers!

I landed here looking for a few answers for a posting on Facebook about one of my favorite people on the planet *snicker*: dear Pope Benedikt. You see, someone posted an old pic of him in a Nazi uniform, and then the answers flooded about how that wasn't relevant, because if you are free of sin you should cast the first stone, etc. etc.  The kind of stuff that typically makes my blood boil when I think of the people that Benedikt personally helps die whenever he goes to Africa and advocates for banning condoms, and efficiently promotes AIDS, or whenever I remember his sheltering pedophiles, or when I think of his lifestyle compared to Jesus' teachings, etc. etc. You know! 

Since I am not very smart, I was looking for a quote to post in that thread, and then I found this wonderful site, and got hooked. That's why I am here :D  And I found so much to read! I look forward to interacting with people in the forum, who sound delightful, and lots of fun! (could not find the perfect quote, btw, so if you have something for me, please throw me a bone!)

I come from a very catholic Italian family in Uruguay, and my daughter entered the Evangelical Pentecostal faith when we moved to Austria. She converted me to Atheism! I started to read because I could tell that what she was telling made no sense at all. Even less sense than the bigotry I could experience growing up. :D  I was horrified that I was supporting so many horrors for so many years. Now I am very militant!

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Many greetings from Montevideo (and Toronto, my second home)
Maria

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Maria - such an unusual first name, for someone from a Spanish-speaking country!;) winking

Exactly what kind of quotation were you looking for? If you can give me a category, I probably have a quotation for it.

welcome and have fun

Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger was born on 16 April, Holy Saturday, 1927, at Schulstraße 11, at 8:30 in the morning in his parents' home in Marktl, Bavaria, Germany. He was baptised the same day. He was the third and youngest child of Joseph Ratzinger, Sr., a police officer, and Maria Ratzinger (née Peintner). His mother's family was originally from South Tyrol (now in Italy). Pope Benedict XVI's brother, Georg Ratzinger, a priest and former director of the Regensburger Domspatzen choir, is still alive. His sister, Maria Ratzinger, who never married, managed Cardinal Ratzinger's household until her death in 1991. Their grand-uncle was the German politician Georg Ratzinger.
    At the age of five, Ratzinger was in a group of children who welcomed the visiting Cardinal Archbishop of Munich with flowers. Struck by the cardinal's distinctive garb, he later announced the very same day that he wanted to be a cardinal.
    Ratzinger attended the elementary school in Aschau am Inn, which was renamed in his honour in 2009.
    Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939, but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings, according to his brother. In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was taken away by the Nazi regime and killed during the Action T4 campaign of Nazi eugenics. In 1943, while still in seminary, he was drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps as Luftwaffenhelfer (air force child soldier). Ratzinger then trained in the German infantry. As the Allied front drew closer to his post in 1945, he deserted back to his family's home in Traunstein after his unit had ceased to exist, just as American troops established their headquarters in the Ratzinger household. As a German soldier, he was put in a POW camp but was released a few months later at the end of the war in the summer of 1945. He reentered the seminary, along with his brother Georg, in November of that year.
    Thus, following repatriation in 1945, the two brothers entered Saint Michael Seminary in Traunstein, later studying at the Ducal Georgianum (Herzogliches Georgianum) of the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich. They were both ordained in Freising on 29 June 1951 by Cardinal Michael von Faulhaber of Munich. Ratzinger recalled:

"...at the moment the elderly Archbishop laid his hands on me, a little bird – perhaps a lark – flew up from the altar in the high cathedral and trilled a little joyful song."

You got to love them. Knowing when to abandon one bandwagon for another seems a real show of intelligence. 

You have to admit though, that refusing to attend meetings of the Hitler Youth Corps couldn't have been a very healthy thing to do, and must have taken a lot of guts for a 14-year old.

Then, later, deserting. It certainly looked like his heart wasn't in it. I'm a little skeptical about the lark, though.

Welcome, Maria!

"If you act like a barbarian, you will become a barbarian."  Niles Crane, character from Frasier.

Welcome Maria!  Yes there are people that actually think about things using reason and logic rather than just emotions, you'll love this site.

Greetings and felicitations Maria!  Would you have any good Uruguayan recipes? 

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 18 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service