My niece's idiot fundy husband just posted this on FB
 "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world - the
cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what
he has and does - comes not from the Father, but from the world." 1 John
2: 15-16 (NIV)``
Normally I ignore him, but this time I couldn't stand it. My response:

"We've trashed the world, and everything in it. It is pretty clear there is not much love for it."

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It just never stops:

"Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist - he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also." 1 John 2:22-23 (NIV)
To be honest, I wouldn't bother arguing. You don't want to upset him, and it is clear he is dyed in the wool. Just nod politely and leave.
Thanks,

I'm coming to that conclusion too. I just made the one comment because my irritation got the better of me, but there is no point going any further.
If it wasn't family, or a close family friend, I would argue the back teeth off it. However, you don't want animosity in the air.

Saying that, I often have discussions with my nan, who is a creationist, and a raving blind faith type lady. We often butt horns, and I think I can safely say I beat her up all the time... There, I said it... I beat up my nan!
You beat up your nan? That's despicable! (but I like it!). It's funny, I love to debate many family members and friends in person, in relative privacy, or in public forums like this where there is a good deal of anonymity, but there is that whole in between realm, like on FB or at a family reunion, where it is just not appropriate. I don't want to offend or embarrass people I care about in public. It is just annoying that so many religious people have no compunction about just that though. I suppose they really believe they are doing the right thing by spreading their myths.
I think what annoys me more than anything is their refusal to abide by simple logic. That is, I think, the one thing that spurs me on to prove their points 'silly'. Notions of the grand Canyon being created by the flood, or cherry picking the bible, and so on. Annoys the hell out of me. I argued with one American chap recently, and he was talking about nuking Africa. I simply responded, (he was a dyed in the wool right wing religious type), "well, when you worship a genocidal, infanticidal control freak, I wouldn't expect any different", or words to that effect. Oooh, he did not like that, and demanded I explain why I said I did. So I did, mentioning the flood, S&G, and the killing of each firstborn child. Oooh, he did not like that at all, and then started to argue against the bible, and how it was allegorical. When I asked him if Moses, genesis, and the ten commandments were allegorical as well, I think his head exploded a la Scanners. That was a simple one, as well. it went on some time talking about all sorts of other bible stuff, and he really did just dig himself a hole. It was fun, but my word, his utter lack of ability to acknowledge simply truths about his holy book meant that he didn;t know how to argue, or handle the rest.

Erm, My, that was a ramble.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service