My niece's idiot fundy husband just posted this on FB
 "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world - the
cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what
he has and does - comes not from the Father, but from the world." 1 John
2: 15-16 (NIV)``
Normally I ignore him, but this time I couldn't stand it. My response:

"We've trashed the world, and everything in it. It is pretty clear there is not much love for it."

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I get a slippery reply:

I think John is talking about the world, not the earth. We may have trashed the earth, but an argument could be made that the reason why we have give so little consideration for God's creation is because we love the world and give little to no honor and love for those things that are of the Lord.
I can see that. Most of this stuff is okay if you stick to a metaphorical interpretation. But the literal interpretation is a disaster. So many people use this as an excuse to trash the planet!
Would have been better:

"Do not love this world, for it is called reality. Thou shalt embrace my world, for it is the true world. Because I said so."
Loop Johny, LOL! that is straight and to the point!
http://api.ning.com/files/Yl5ip3uCeYKmsHL8vJsV8quZIY8VvxysSQBpgvFGtKKc*lNtDxwyW2iPBF8Sex7h/Planet_Earth_by_sanmonku.jpg
What's not to love?
Seems to me most of the bad stuff comes from us, and not the world...
Dunno about that. Nature is pretty nasty 24 hours a day. How long do you think you'll last in the wild? natural disasters, wild animals, disease, injury, cold, heat, drought, floods, etc.
Agreed. Nature is not our friend, but we can be our own worst enemy at the same time.
He's saying don't love any of God's creations. He's also implying that God didn't create the world, because they're two separate things and that things 'come from the world, but not God'. Hypocrite.
Seems world and earth are two different things to a Christian. Like the world is man's world, something created by man, and the earth was supposedly created by God. The flaw in the logic is that man and his/her world is part of nature. Even by Christian logic, if God created Man, and Man created the World, then God created the World. He would still be responsible.
I always took that to mean don't get attached to anything material, because its all fleeting. Maybe I overgeneralized, but I could never take anything from the bible literally, even when I believed.

This attitude that this world is just a stepping stone to something greater is a dangerous attitude, especially for those in power.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service