This idea can have logic and great value even for an atheist.  

Not that long ago I offered for some angry people to kick my head in, to prove a point about how men should treat women (i.e. don't bully them).  (I guess they didn't have the heart to do it.)  

Among the many interpretations which can be placed on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, we can say this:  

Jesus went to his death willingly - in that he knew it was going to happen, and didn't run away, when he could have done - in order to prove and illustrate a point.  That point was his life's work (well, the last 3 years').  One of his main lessons was that we can all be given the chance for our sins to be forgiven, provided we earn it and do the necessary real work involved.  Provided we go to our Crucifixion willingly.  If he can get himself crucified, we should be up to saying sorry and putting things right when we have to.  We should be humble enough to suffer for what we have done.  We should be humble enough to let something go instead of escalating to some kind of blood feud.  

He also forgave the people who were crucifying him. 

By dramatically illustrating the idea that God can forgive our sins, will always give us a second chance to make good: life became possible, life became good, life became fruitful.  Instead of nasty, brutish and short.  Hence the Resurrection. 

Views: 3665

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Misty -

"Now THAT is a story about sacrifice, duty and loyalty.

This is true.  I would say that the same allegorical meaning or lesson applies in both cases.  If a soldier has the humility and courage to do that, then we can have the humility and courage to admit we are wrong and to seek forgiveness.  In the Jesus story, he rises again from the dead - this symbolizes how the process of forgiveness can keep life going and save lives. 

When the Emperor of Mankind conquered Terra during the Unification Wars he brought all of humanity under one banner, and quickly set out to reunite the lost members of the species that were strewn about the universe.

With the help of his 18 gene forged sons, the Primarchs, the Emperor and his Legions united world after world, casting out the darkness of Old Night and bringing forth secularism and scientific truth to the galaxy.

When the Dark Gods of Chaos orchestrated the events that led his most dear son, Horus to rebel against his father, the Emperor, during their final showdown was mortally wounded due to his love of his fallen son preventing him to destroy him until the very last moment.

After the great battle, the Emperor was entombed within the Golden Throne, where he watches over mankind, keeping the light of the Astronomicon bright for humanity to sail the stars in relative safety.

Over 10,000 years the Emperor of Mankind has sat on the Golden Throne. 10,000 years of unlife, neither alive nor dead... Dead in body, but alive in mind. 10,000 years of pain and suffering, as he watches the empire of humanity crumble and drag itself back into religious superstition and barbarism. And yet, the Emperor refuses to allow death to take him. He suffers on and on for a species that tears down his dream of an enlightened humanity, not out of vanity, or anger, but out of his love for the human race, and hope that truth will prevail.

- My summary of the Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy-

Much better story than the sacrifice of Jesus, and just as fictional.

@Milos - what is its allegorical meaning? 

You can't wring some meaning out of that?

I'm asking you and Milos if you can give me a coherent meaning.

The beauty of fiction, Simon, is that you can take away whatever meaning you find in it. Just like the Jesus story.

@Milos - that's true. 

This looks like a rip off of the DUNE background story......maybe I was not offering my attention at the time? ;p)

I am always amazed what pipply faced dudes can make up under the influence of 24/7 war gaming , Mountain DEW, and pizza... 

pizza? I woulda said Cheetos

Said the man with the orange fingers and genitalia --

LOL

You guys are BAD. :)

Just think of us as the comedy relief that keeps threads from getting too serious.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 2 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service