This idea can have logic and great value even for an atheist.  

Not that long ago I offered for some angry people to kick my head in, to prove a point about how men should treat women (i.e. don't bully them).  (I guess they didn't have the heart to do it.)  

Among the many interpretations which can be placed on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, we can say this:  

Jesus went to his death willingly - in that he knew it was going to happen, and didn't run away, when he could have done - in order to prove and illustrate a point.  That point was his life's work (well, the last 3 years').  One of his main lessons was that we can all be given the chance for our sins to be forgiven, provided we earn it and do the necessary real work involved.  Provided we go to our Crucifixion willingly.  If he can get himself crucified, we should be up to saying sorry and putting things right when we have to.  We should be humble enough to suffer for what we have done.  We should be humble enough to let something go instead of escalating to some kind of blood feud.  

He also forgave the people who were crucifying him. 

By dramatically illustrating the idea that God can forgive our sins, will always give us a second chance to make good: life became possible, life became good, life became fruitful.  Instead of nasty, brutish and short.  Hence the Resurrection. 

Views: 3686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to mention that previously Simon said that the point was forgiveness given to those who earn it (as opposed to just carte blanche forgiveness without the person doing anything to earn that forgiveness), but here he's talking about Jesus forgiving people who did not earn that forgiveness. Make up your mind, Simon.

I would go further than that, Danielle, and say 100% - we may not always know what that reason is, and to us, the reason may not always seem logical, but there always is one.

Tiny correction - an anonymous author, writing 30-100 years after the alleged event, SAID "He forgave those people for what they did." You're making it sound as though it actually happened, let's keep it real.

Jesus, the original sin-eater.

I always love this.. Hilarious :-)

Whata piece of crap

Why, Gary? 

After 25 pages of explanation Simon asks "why". This is why I like Simon he is like the EveryReady Bunny, he just keeps going and going and going and going......

Gary? 

It's always a good sign when I cause a commotion among the trolls.  Keep trying, trolls.  You can't delete my posts.  Look, they're still there: 

http://www.thinkatheist.com/xn/detail/1982180:Comment:1345539?xg_so...

http://www.thinkatheist.com/xn/detail/1982180:Comment:1345542?xg_so...

http://www.thinkatheist.com/xn/detail/1982180:Comment:1345604?xg_so...

I'd say you're really starting to lose it, Paynton, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Simon Mathews 11 minutes ago. 1 Reply

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 13 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service