This idea can have logic and great value even for an atheist.  

Not that long ago I offered for some angry people to kick my head in, to prove a point about how men should treat women (i.e. don't bully them).  (I guess they didn't have the heart to do it.)  

Among the many interpretations which can be placed on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, we can say this:  

Jesus went to his death willingly - in that he knew it was going to happen, and didn't run away, when he could have done - in order to prove and illustrate a point.  That point was his life's work (well, the last 3 years').  One of his main lessons was that we can all be given the chance for our sins to be forgiven, provided we earn it and do the necessary real work involved.  Provided we go to our Crucifixion willingly.  If he can get himself crucified, we should be up to saying sorry and putting things right when we have to.  We should be humble enough to suffer for what we have done.  We should be humble enough to let something go instead of escalating to some kind of blood feud.  

He also forgave the people who were crucifying him. 

By dramatically illustrating the idea that God can forgive our sins, will always give us a second chance to make good: life became possible, life became good, life became fruitful.  Instead of nasty, brutish and short.  Hence the Resurrection. 

Views: 3748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like, Philosophy + Jesus = magic! And how can you, "reconstruct it from scratch in an atheist way" when you start with Jesus?

@Joshua - you can actually start with common science, and then find that Jesus was talking 100% sense. 

Really? Where's the casting out of demons in science? I must have missed that class.

OK, 99%

And then there's the part where fig trees are supposed to bear fruit out of season when Jesus wants a snack. Guess it's 98% now. Care to go for 97?

Forget that Dave, if you want to talk science, let's go all the way back to the virgin birth and the fact that Holy Spooks don't have DNA, so Yeshua would have been an exact clone of Mama Mary, boobs and all.

I was leaving the intangible sperm for later, arch. :D

Weather control and altering the surface tension of a lake are also on the list.

That was Demon Casting 403, an advanced course, and taught only on alternating semesters, due to low demand - it was easy to miss, so don't beat yourself up about it.

The only example of 'demons in science', would 'Maxwell's Demon'. If memory serves, this 'demon' was used in reference to thermodynanics. Can't quiet remember context, but maybe dealing with entropy.

You mean that an anonymous author, writing 30-100 years after the alleged event, who was never there, basing his story entirely on hearsay and his imagination, said that Yeshua said things that made 100% sense - stick to the facts.

Shhh, Josh - he hasn't yet figured out how totally illogical that sounds - let's let him have his blissful ignorance just a little longer, I'm afraid to mention there's no Santa Claus.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 18 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 27 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 3 hours ago. 130 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 7 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 1 Comment

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service