This idea can have logic and great value even for an atheist.  

Not that long ago I offered for some angry people to kick my head in, to prove a point about how men should treat women (i.e. don't bully them).  (I guess they didn't have the heart to do it.)  

Among the many interpretations which can be placed on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, we can say this:  

Jesus went to his death willingly - in that he knew it was going to happen, and didn't run away, when he could have done - in order to prove and illustrate a point.  That point was his life's work (well, the last 3 years').  One of his main lessons was that we can all be given the chance for our sins to be forgiven, provided we earn it and do the necessary real work involved.  Provided we go to our Crucifixion willingly.  If he can get himself crucified, we should be up to saying sorry and putting things right when we have to.  We should be humble enough to suffer for what we have done.  We should be humble enough to let something go instead of escalating to some kind of blood feud.  

He also forgave the people who were crucifying him. 

By dramatically illustrating the idea that God can forgive our sins, will always give us a second chance to make good: life became possible, life became good, life became fruitful.  Instead of nasty, brutish and short.  Hence the Resurrection. 

Views: 3867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So THAT's what this is all about - you realize you've wasted your life, but this concept of yours is to be your crowning achievement, that balances the scales and demonstrates that contrary to popular opinion, you're really not just a waste of skin.

I am truly sorry that you have that much, for which you feel you need to compensate, but that damage was done long before I came along, and although I still wouldn't agree with your premise, there would be no animosity between us if you hadn't called me the name you did. That was on you.

Arch - you know why I called you the name I did.  It was mild compared with the godawful shit that was coming out of your mouth.  I'm not willing to drag all that up again, because it would make you look terrible, but if you want me to, I will. 

I wish you would - if you think you can, "make me look terrible" for reporting an article that was in the news, please, go right ahead!

Let me help you, you can fill in the blanks, if I miss anything. There was an article about child molestation that I posted. One of our members was molested as a child, and she went off on me, "How DARE you post something like that after the experiences I had?!"

I attempted to defend myself by pointing out it was only an article, it wasn't me saying those things, it was the author. You insisted I apologize for what the author said, I tried explaining how absurd that sounded, and you called me an asshole.

That's how I remember it. Paynton - possibly you have a different version - you know, one that has you wearing highly-polished armor and riding a white Clydesdale.

No, I'd say that's pretty accurate, thank you

He did not shame me, anymore than the other millions of people who have died for whatever they believed, because they disagreed with others.

I do not even hold him in high respect, I think he was a bully.

If Jebus had all this power to heal and feed people, then do it to all, and let the dam slaves free! Piss on jebus.

I hold Brunno, who was killed for believing that the other stars were like our sun with planets and maybe life on them in high respect. How he could believe this in his time is beyond me, but he did and would not recant.

As for Aesop's fables - this may well be true, but I don't see Eeyore the donkey getting crucified. 

But Gollum sacrificed himself for the Ring!  Seriously, Simon, what has Eeyore got to do with the subject?  You're mixing stories here - chuckles rather like the writers of the bible actually.

Hi, it is the means to an end that bothers me in your statement. That Jesus now loses his status as an all powerful sentient being, diluting his stature to be merely a metaphor for salvation. enlightenment. This contradicts what Christianity is saying about the status of Jesus as a living God and that it is validated by his resurrection, therefore defying the laws of causation. The problem with your statement is that it lacks context. Are you an atheist or a believer? There is really no middle ground. You need to choose for who you going to bat. This quasi eclectic mix of ideas are very incompatible for any sane,sober human being.

Actually, I find belief in a person being born of a virgin, turning water into wine, healing the blind with dirt and spit, walking on water, raising people from the dead, raising yourself from the dead and levitating into the clouds, "very incompatible for any sane, sober human being."

I find incredible in a world where it just don't happen like this. The well worn saying must suffice : if it is too good to be true then it is probably not true. As for our questioner, he cannot have a little bit Christianity and a little bit of atheism mixed in his view of the world. The two schools of thought are incompatible with each other. It takes courage to make your stand. My fortitude is in Skepticism.

@Martin -

"That Jesus now loses his status as an all powerful sentient being, diluting his stature to be merely a metaphor for salvation. enlightenment. This contradicts what Christianity is saying about the status of Jesus as a living God...

That's OK.  I'm an atheist, we're atheists, we don't believe in the monotheistic creator God as given in the major religions.  There's no problem in that for us. 

I don't believe that everyone on Earth has to have the same beliefs.  If we're religious or spiritual, we can all do the same thing but in the way that we're comfortable with.  If that's Muslim, Christian, atheist, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu - they can all be equivalent at heart, but each in their own particular style or language. 

"Are you an atheist or a believer? There is really no middle ground. You need to choose for who you going to bat. This quasi eclectic mix of ideas are very incompatible for any sane,sober human being."  

What I've done is to find an atheist basis for a religion.  I've deconstructed religion back to its most basic principles, and I'm reconstructing it from scratch in an atheist way.  This originated as a way to answer the atheist morality problem - "how can atheists be moral without God?".  The answer is clear, simple and obvious, and the surprising thing I found was that you end up constructing a conventional religion on top of that answer, in order to do a thorough job of answering the question.  A complete spirituality springs up from it if you just keep exploring.  The challenge is how to bring it to life so it can be understandable by everyone, even those without the necessary life experience. 

It's actually, pardon my French, fucking brilliant, and I've grown immensely as a person in the process.  This is why I don't run away from trouble - trouble is the fire, the testing ground. 

Sounds like, Philosophy + Jesus = magic! And how can you, "reconstruct it from scratch in an atheist way" when you start with Jesus?

RSS

Forum

Nude atheist group

Started by Raymond in Society. Last reply by Raymond on Monday. 4 Replies

Socratic Method

Started by Michael in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Ed yesterday. 5 Replies

Babies Are Not Born Atheists

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 46 minutes ago. 36 Replies

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror yesterday. 6 Replies

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service