This idea can have logic and great value even for an atheist.  

Not that long ago I offered for some angry people to kick my head in, to prove a point about how men should treat women (i.e. don't bully them).  (I guess they didn't have the heart to do it.)  

Among the many interpretations which can be placed on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, we can say this:  

Jesus went to his death willingly - in that he knew it was going to happen, and didn't run away, when he could have done - in order to prove and illustrate a point.  That point was his life's work (well, the last 3 years').  One of his main lessons was that we can all be given the chance for our sins to be forgiven, provided we earn it and do the necessary real work involved.  Provided we go to our Crucifixion willingly.  If he can get himself crucified, we should be up to saying sorry and putting things right when we have to.  We should be humble enough to suffer for what we have done.  We should be humble enough to let something go instead of escalating to some kind of blood feud.  

He also forgave the people who were crucifying him. 

By dramatically illustrating the idea that God can forgive our sins, will always give us a second chance to make good: life became possible, life became good, life became fruitful.  Instead of nasty, brutish and short.  Hence the Resurrection. 

Views: 3520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is one way to look at the story, another way is that the gods realized that Adam and Eve were now as wise as they were, and that if they ate of the tree of life, then they would be gods just like them. So, they kicked them out to avoid the competition. No sin involved.

The meaning I get out of the myth, is that man was now realizing he was different than the rest of the animals, because he was now aware of his ego, or his sense of self and death.

@Dennis - that seems like a valid meaning we could take from it too.  There is no denying that we're different in certain ways from the rest of creation or nature.  Our consciousness is orders of magnitudes more sophisticated than any other animal, and we have culture, technology and language to help us.  Other animals of course have superior abilities in other areas. 

Talking about jesus sacrifice is like saying my cookie was made to pay for all cookies sins by being dunked in milk. And from now on all cookies should be dunked in milk and cookies who aren't are an abomination.
Peace be the Journey

But what of the cookies who can't fit in your glass??

They must be broken down crumb by crumb until they fit. Bwahahaha

Ahhh...Inquisition style!

The thread seems to be from January, so everybody probably already did their job telling you how embarrassingly wrong you were.

@kOrsan - the debate continues. 

The Power Tactics of Jesus Christ.

I found a small book titled that in a college library and had to read it. One of its authors was a psychiatrist and I remember his saying that Jesus went to Jerusalem before he had enough allies.

Idealists do that; they  take on villains more powerful than they.

Skilled writers can make them heroes. Scoundrels can use their stories to manipulate children.

@Tom -

"Idealists do that; they  take on villains more powerful than they.

That's why he was cool.  He was a proper soldier. 

Assuming he existed, which you've made clear that you do.

He was cool? Or a fool? A proper soldier? Obeying whose orders?

Why do I bother?

@Tom -

we can take a broad definition of the word "soldier".  A soldier doesn't have to obey orders, we can even have an anarchist soldier (like me).  :-/

I personally would define a soldier as someone who stands up for what they believe in no matter what the risk, someone who handles their own shit, anyone who's strong and not a bully. 

Off the top of my head, I would safely say that Nate Lundgren and Belle Rose are soldiers, which is interesting as they know each other.  But we often find that like goes with like.  Judith and Nina literally are/were soldiers too.  I have a Christian friend in the US who was in the army, and she was the one who made me see that Christianity can be a valid and valuable way of life (although it's not for me). 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

Started by Stephen Sutton in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 30 minutes ago. 76 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service