It came from FACEBOOK! Crazy things your friends have posted on Facebook about faith that drive you nuts.

So I'm sure we all have Facebook friends that post crazy, amusing, disturbing things about god. So what are the worst or most amusing things that you have seen? That and do you ever respond to these posts or just ignore them or even just delete people from your friends list? Furthermore how have other people reacted to your own posts about Atheism or subjects that might go against the faith of friends or family?

Tags: crazy, cringe, disturbing, facebook, god, jesus, media, on, posts, social

Views: 3471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I fixed this by just deleting my account.... I got so tired of religious facebook bs... And if I said anything benign but obviously non-religious, interacting with the spew, I would get de-friended. A lot of these people I am casual friends with otherwise... otherwise they're normal people I enjoy knowing.

One example is someone posted a bible verse from the epistles, and I posed a non-threatening question wondering how that made sense... It's the one about how this 'list' of people aren't 'inheriting the kingdom of god' ... 'and such were you' and so on. My post deleted and was de-friended just like that. I guess, "How dare I question the word of god!" Maybe that was a clue, in inverse. But that clue meant de-friending the vast majority of people on there. And what's the point of being on there at that point?

To rant on, it also had a bit to do with my just-becoming ex-gf at the time. We had quite a few mutual 'friends' on there. We lived together for a few years, and she left when I was laid off. Evolution at its finest.

And then most of my immediate family friended my ex-wife right around then, randomly after years...    I don't really care at all in one sense, since it's been years, but after the events with her I've always maintained no contact or interaction except only what pertains to our kids. In that sense my family put me in an awkward situation.

And then more ongoing religious stuff, from people I grew up with or my family. And just felt squelched.

And then I realized that I hated FB. What a mess. The people I spend time with, or want to keep in touch with, I do this anyway. Otherwise, TA fills the social internetz needs, heh. We're all here for a purpose and it's great reading from and interacting with everyone, because even if there is a disagreement (and often going ad hominem rather quickly sometimes :-(  ), people keep talking. For me it's better than sitting on facebook watching drivel that's designed that way (religious), that's for sure.

I guess the point is that for all the above reasons, for me it's not worth it. I do miss laughing at the nonsense though...

I have a friend who always quotes Joyce Meyer and ends every post with thanking Jesus for washing us in his blood and healing us all..gives me the creeps!

It wasn't in Facebook, but last week we bought some meals for our employees; I was unable to order at the time they did, no big deal I just needed to call the restaurant back... I did not call, the food arrived, with a surprise: an extra meal! Someone, from the team came and exclaimed: Thank god! I replied: Yeah, rigth, someone will pay for this at the restaurant. Later, a coworker told me that she calles the restaurant to order an additional meal for me. Bottom line: I don't really think that a "divine power" would mess with my food.

Switch to Google+ we are having a much more mature debate there, I find that there are more militant and ignorant xtians on FB!

I have a few family members who always talk about church events and send me invites to said events (that I always decline,) but for the most part, I don't have any crazy religious friends on facebook. Except one...

This is copy/pasted directly from her "about me" section

"God's glory. This is why, and how, and what. Its all about God's glory. The LORD of magnificent splendor, grace, love, forgiveness, the God who gives us more beauty than we ever deserve...how could it not all be for His magnificence!?"

She is probably the sweetest person I've ever met; she's so nice and happy and smiling ALL THE TIME. I just adore her attitude towards everyone and everything. But this is a major turn off. I've come close to defriending her on facebook many times because of stuff like that. It is, literally, all she ever talks about on facebook... It saddens me.

She smiles all the time?  ...must be religious euphoria.  I had that for a couple months in high school.  Good round of antibiotics and I kicked it.

I'm not one for ignoring situations that irritate me.  I find that it's best to be proactive in clearing bullshit out of one's life.  To that end, I found that the following Facebook post helped me clear several Christians off of my 'friends' list:

If you are a Christian then you are a disgusting vile person and I want you off my facebook 'friends' list now so fuck off. Don't go away mad, just go away. Feel free to express your discontent with this message so long as you 'unfriend' immediately afterward.

Oooo I love that, but I don't have the balls for it.

That's a little strong.  There are plenty of decent people who are Christians.

@Kairan

I'm sorry, but I no longer believe that is true.  They are not in control of their own minds so if their behavior seems presently decent it is only because their cult leaders have not presently instructed them to be vile and disgusting.

If there were a growing movement in Christianity to abolish all sects that hold to Bronze Age beliefs about killing gays or keeping women out of positions of teaching/authority then one might think a Christian could be a good person.  The fact is, however, that you would be hard pressed to find a single Christian who is vocally speaking out against such practices - for they can't because those are just some of the basic tenets of their cult.

If they were truly decent people they would realize their Bronze Age doctrines are vile and disgusting and would renounce their faith in such vile and disgusting bullshit - so they would no longer be Christians.

Christianity encompasses a very wide range of beliefs.  Believers pick and choose what they see in the bible and sometimes model their God after what they want him to be, rather than what the text and religious tradition reveals him to be. 

Because people do this, it is possible to find very tolerant and progressive Christians.  When I was a Catholic, I rejected vital aspects of Catholic theology, out-moded biblical laws, and backwards Church traditions, but I still believed there were redeeming values to some of the teachings of Christ and I accepted his divinity.  Obviously, and thankfully, that changed.  At that time in my life, I was a decent but misguided person. 

The only thing decent about you at that time was that you were actively rejecting Christianity piece by piece.  Anyone who makes up any sort of belief system they want and then has the audacity to claim that their mish-mash of brain shit is ordained by the creator of the universe as law for all mankind - that sort of person is vile, disgusting, and intellectually repugnant.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

Started by Stephen Sutton in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 28 minutes ago. 76 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service