It came from FACEBOOK! Crazy things your friends have posted on Facebook about faith that drive you nuts.

So I'm sure we all have Facebook friends that post crazy, amusing, disturbing things about god. So what are the worst or most amusing things that you have seen? That and do you ever respond to these posts or just ignore them or even just delete people from your friends list? Furthermore how have other people reacted to your own posts about Atheism or subjects that might go against the faith of friends or family?

Tags: crazy, cringe, disturbing, facebook, god, jesus, media, on, posts, social

Views: 3496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so sure, they were good, decent Nazis, but then they weren't really Nazis, were they?

You could make the same argument about Christians: that  those who behave ethically aren't "true Christians."  This is the 'no true Scotsman' argument and I'm not interested in engaging in it.

You're right, Christianity is not a totalitarian regime.  It is rarely fatal anymore for people to leave Christianity but they do face other reprecussians.  Similarly, the negative impact of Christianity in the world is no longer as strong.  I really don't know why you brought up Nazis in this context--I feel the magnitude of their actions is so much worse than anything going on in present day western Christendom.  We're talking about the morality of modern-day western Christians--we're not currently in the middle of the witch hunts or the crusades.  Do you think it is accurate to compare what is done in the name of modern day western Christianity to what the Nazis did? 

My point was that there is a range of culpability among actual Nazis, dependent on the severity of their actions, their beliefs, and factors like their ability to dissent.  I am saying that not all Nazis are equally evil.  I am also asserting that not all Christians are bad. 

Have you watched the videos of people being burned alive, by Christians, in Uganda?  Do you know what the suicide rate is for gay teens?  Do you realize that rate is a direct result of Christian oppression of gays?

The death toll no longer adds up the what the Nazis were doing at their peak, but then even the Nazi numbers don't add up to what Christianity was doing at its peak.  In a modern day context, Christian parents are still able to disown their own children for being gay - and smile about it, and sings songs on Sunday, and be praised by their friends for their upstanding Christian behavior.  Did the Nazis ever actually sing joyfully about the horrors they perpetrated?

You are right, it's not fair to compare Christians to Nazis - that would be unfair to the Nazis.

It is intellectually lazy to take any group sharing a common denominator and extrapolate from that group identity a conclusion that all members are uniform,

If the extrapolation is sound and the conclusion is correct, what difference does intellectual exertion make? 

All members of a group don't have to be uniform for the group to be harmful as a whole. Islam provided the incubation and cover for the 911 attacks. A harmful subgroup within a benign group is well camouflaged.

A 'friend' from HS was posting religious messages on my FB page a few months ago. One message stated that unbelievers were going to hell. I wrote back suggesting that such messages were intolerate and unwanted. She wrote back suggesting that I was the intolerate one, then unfriended me. Oh well. I quess I have issues! 

Can I slap your brother?  Not too hard.  Just enough momentum to knock out some delusion and make room for new ideas. 

Facebook is a monstrous perversion of the public Internet. I'll stay out here in the free world, thanks.

I hate facebook.  It's like you don't exist if you aren't on facebook. 

Tell that to my creditors. 

I remember when Microsoft had actually convinced almost the entire computing world that Microsoft was a monopoly. Sure, they lost millions in anti-trust litigation. But for years, customers were convinced they had no choice but to buy Microsoft products. You can't buy marketing that good for any price. 

I was using the Internet long before Facebook appeared. I'll still be using the Internet long after Facebook joins AOL, GeoCities, Netscape, and MySpace on the can't-live-without-it rubbish pile. I didn't use any of them either.

You don't have a profile on Facebook. Facebook has a profile on YOU.

Damn, you're right!

Post this to your FB wall, and sit back and enjoy the fun.

God is my co-pilot, but Satan possessed my brakes.

I had a big time christian send me a FB link to Leonard Cohen' brilliant song "Hallelujah". Apparently he never actually understood the real nature of the lyrics. I'm sure its a common mistake "to hear only what you want to."

Maybe there’s a God above
But all I’ve ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It’s not a cry you can hear at night
It’s not somebody who has seen the light
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well, really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service