Is your trust in science based on faith or based on science?

What I mean is this: how much do you actually know about the science most atheists parrot? Most atheists know as little science as most Christians know as little theology. Just as a Christian trusts his priest to tell him what he believes, an atheist trusts scientists with a Ph.D. tacked to their name to tell them what they believe. But how many times have the scientists turned out to be wrong? I only ask this because it seems this is central to the problem that most atheists have. They are repulsed by the phrase “believe” – they are addicted instead to the phrase “know”. But honestly, do you really know, or are you just believing what you’re told? I would like to remind you that in the 1970′s the scientists of the day were seriously concerned that we were about to enter an ice age, and less than 30 years later they are now convinced Earth is about to turn into a desert.

Unless you’ve observed something yourself, or observed and interpreted the evidence yourself and drew your own conclusions, you are just as guilty as faith as any religious person.

Views: 5310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is not my post in any shape. Anyways, I'm glad to hear that you don't have faith in science. 

Having faith in science is different from having faith in the scientific method. The one is fallible, the other is not. There's nothing wrong with having faith in something as long as you can change your mind. Who would say, "I don't trust the scientific method?" If you can't imagine yourself saying that, then that is a kind of faith. 

R-22 boils at -41.44 degrees Fahrenheit.

And I am just thrilled that some Scientist figured that out! Right now I'm doing somersaults about that fact.

Because Refrigerant 22 boils at -41.44 degrees Fahrenheit I am gainfully employed, own a house, two cars, and a Harley. My home is kept at a constant 71 degrees fahrenheit during days when the temperature outside exceeds 90 degrees fahrenheit.

I love Science. Science was directly responsible for comfort cooling. It's the effect you feel when it's hot as balls outside and cool inside. Love scientist! Love scientist more than I love priest, medicine men, and shaman's.

Yep, it's why I am an Atheist. Science, what a concept.

Trollin', trollin', trollin-keep those doggies trollin'…. LOL...

my trust in science is based on the fact that it works every time, not when it is convenient. it makes sense all the time, not in just some occasionalcircumstances.

@ G;

You say: "...they are now convinced Earth is about to turn into a desert. ..."

Who are "they"?

Your implied conclusion of the consensus of opinion amongst climate scientists is incorrect and inflammatory. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The beauty of the Scientific Method is it's simplicity and self-correcting structure, it uncovers the truth about nature, and that is why it works and is relied upon by all intelligent people.

I don't "believe" scientific peer consensus, I accept it to my personal level of understanding.

Belief is foolish, acceptance is practical.

Science isn't a religion. Its applied questions and answers. You have a question.  you take you question to next step. Formulation of a answer. Gain answer. double check answer to make sure it's correct. If not start over. If it is shiny. Religion is consists of I have a question. Read the book. Accept answer. Do not question farther.  

I've tried four times to join in this discussion but my computer chooses to delete my contribution.  Religion  is bullshit.  I recently read "The Healing Power of Neuralfeedback" by Stephen Larsen.  I've met someone whose daughter went into remission of severe epilepsy due to this therapy.  I'm now trying this for my daughter.  Conventional medicine has no more to offer.  I realised a few years' ago after much suffering that the sky fairy was a con and a great disservice to mankind.

I'm a strong atheist but always tolerant.  Now I've lost my tolerance, and could have lost a treasured friend after ranting at her and her belief in dog.  She refused to be offended by my rave and offered me love and support.  I'm so grateful for that.  I've had a terrible week after my daughter suffered another debilitating fall.

My trust in science and not in bullshit is based on my need to give science a go.  

This site is amazing and has led me on a path to learning and self discovery.

Thank you all so very much.

Good luck with your daughter, best wishes.

Gregg

LOL now wish i had the list of seventh day adventist that used to come by my door.

The best thing about the Scientific Method is that it doesn't trust people.

No one can make a claim of authority, it doesn't matter who I am nor what titles I have, the Scientific Method doesn't give a shit.

In the last 4 hundred years the body of human knowledge has grown so exponentially that we now fire bullets into comets.

If we don't kill ourselves off, the next 4 hundred years will be out-fucking-standing.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service