Most citizens who know anything at all about it will concede that The War on Drugs is a big failure, costly in both financial and human terms.

Below our southern border, the Mexican government is doing a poor job fighting the drug lords due both to lack of financial resources and widespread official corruption. 

In one Mexican town, the citizens took the law into their own hands:

For lime grower Hipolito Mora, it was time to organize and pick up arms when a packing company controlled by a brutal drug cartel refused to buy his fruit. For Bishop Miguel Patino Velazquez, it was seeing civilians forced to fight back with their own guns that made him speak out. For Leticia, a lime picker too afraid of retribution to give her last name, it was the day she saw a taxi driver kidnapped in front of his two young children that convinced her to join those taking the law into their own hands.

In Mexico they call it "the drop that makes the glass overflow," and it came at different points for the people living for years in fear of the brutal Knights Templar in the western Valley of Apatzingan, an emerald green tapestry of orchards bordered by blue-gray peaks.

"We lived in bondage, threatened by organized crime," said Leticia, 40, who ekes out a living picking fruit and selling chicken on the side. "They wanted to treat people like animals."

Eight months after locals formed self-defense groups, they say they are free of the cartel in six municipalities of the Tierra Caliente, or "Hot Land," which earned its moniker for the scorching weather but whose name has also come to signify criminal activity. What's more, the self-defense group leaders, who are clearly breaking Mexican law by picking up military-style arms to fight criminals, say the federal government is no longer arresting them, but recruiting them to help federal forces identify cartel members. (read the rest of the article here)

Tags: cartels, drug, drugs, justice, on, the, vigilante, vigilantism, war

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While I firmly believe legalization is the best method for reducing their power, control, influence etc.. bustin a cap in their ass is unfortunately one of the better short term solutions. It really is astonishing that we have the prohibition era to reflect upon and yet still hold the same failed policy in place. The only logical explination IMO is that monetary interests want it that way and so it stays. The tide is changing slowly, at least for cannabis anyways.

I don't know, but my truck has been broken in for the third time tonight...

James are you staying in Mexico or in South Africa? lol.....

Little town, and state capital of Salem Oregon.

A wonderful town, where you can get nice ethic foods, access to mountains and rivers, most any religion that might interest you, to a busy criminal population, with easy access to main highways, bike paths, dumpsters, and housing to burn down when the evenings get booring or the drugs start running out...;p(.

It is rather unnerving, it is feeling like we are dieing of a thousand cuts, since the local police seem overwhemed with petty hoods...  

Irish Republicans took charge of vigilantism towards drug dealers a few years back. It spread to other towns and cities like Dublin where there were organised marches on the houses and flats of known drug dealers. Most were given a warning of stop or move out. Anyone that did not pay heed was burnt out. Some were badly beaten or kneecapped.

All it served was to give minor right wing political parties some air time and maybe garner some votes at local elections. But what it really did was to make the dealers more organised and camouflaged. Rather than be based in one location they are now very mobile and better networked. They are also more vicious and in recent years underworld killings between feuding gangs have soared.

The only solution that I can see is to decriminalise most drugs and allow the state to regulate the sellers who in turn can meet the demand with a “clean” supply. This takes it all away from the criminal gangs immediately. In reality there is no “war on drugs”. It was lost years ago.

The only solution that I can see is to decriminalise most drugs and allow the state to regulate the sellers who in turn can meet the demand with a “clean” supply. This takes it all away from the criminal gangs immediately. In reality there is no “war on drugs”. It was lost years ago.

I largely agree, though the authorities can fuck this approach up by taxing the drugs, thus creating a market for cheaper untaxed drugs. The state would have to beat the thugs at their own game or why bother?

The only way to stop drug gangs is legalisation and regulation. Tax them if needs be. People are always going to take drugs, but I would rather know that they are trying them in either a controlled environment or without added rat poison. 'Vigilantism' isn't going to solve the 'problem'. And yes, gangs may still exist after legalisation but I think that as time passes this will dilute itself.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service