Is there any truth to your life being blessed if you serve God without hypocrisy?

The only proof that the old Testament offers for the immutability of the counsel of God, are the blessings to your health and prosperity if you serve him without hypocrisy.

Has anyone tried this test for the existence of God?

Why have we fasted,’ they say,

‘and you have not seen it?

Why have we humbled ourselves,

and you have not noticed?’

“Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please

and exploit all your workers.

4Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,

and in striking each other with wicked fists.

You cannot fast as you do today

and expect your voice to be heard on high.

5Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,

only a day for a man to humble himself?

Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed

and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?

Is that what you call a fast,

a day acceptable to the Lord?

6“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:

to loose the chains of injustice

and untie the cords of the yoke,

to set the oppressed free

and break every yoke?

7Is it not to share your food with the hungry

and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—

when you see the naked, to clothe him,

and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8Then your light will break forth like the dawn,

and your healing will quickly appear;

then your righteousnessa will go before you,

and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.

9Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;

you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,

with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry

and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,

then your light will rise in the darkness,

and your night will become like the noonday.

Views: 1270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everyone has to believe in something.

I believe I'll have another beer.

I guess the question is which God? All too often Christians assume we are talking about the God believed in by their little subdivision of Christianity. Forget Allah. Forget the many gods of Hinduism. Forget Ahura Mazda (Zoroastrianism). Forget Zeus, Aphrodite and the rest of the Greek gods. And let's not even get into the Norse gods. Christians often forget that when we talk about God or gods, the rest of us don't necessarily see why the discussion should be limited to Yahweh. Why can't it be Shiva who makes the flowers grow?

I'm with David Thorne here...

I am actually torn between two faiths; while your god's promise of eternal life is very persuasive, the Papua New Guinean mud god, Pikkiwoki, is promising a pig and as many coconuts as you can carry.

Good point...

Hi Michael,

You're absolutely right. To this extent -- millions experience what they call monitions from God -- answers to prayers, descent of grace, elevation to oneness with God.

Problem is -- all this "experience" belongs to psychological, trained in, short-circuits. A literal reshaping of neural pathways implanted by authoritarians -- family, friends, schools, media, popular culture, and endless institutional propaganda from self-anointed god-proxies.

So, it is no accident that in the Big-3 Monster Theisms -- judaism, xianity, and islam -- faiths that otherwise hate each other as arch-heretics are exactly the same in detailing their alleged experiences.

Reliance on subjective certainty speaks volumes about you, but subjective certainty says nothing about reality.

• Knowledge and subjective certainty characterize discourses totally distinct from one another.

Establishing truth, knowledge, and reality requires openly verifiable evidence. Subjective certainty is a logically defective proxy for knowledge. Read the trolls who've posted here. Nothing but totally subjective claims alleged to arise from “feelings”.

No “feelings” come with markers -- xian, islamic, jewish, buddhist -- all so-called religious “feelings” are interpretations, not ready made revelations.

• all this irrational fervor would be funny, except

Fundies employ their subjective certainty to justify paternalistic social control, to enforce their perverted morality, and to launch subversive attacks on an Open Society.

My tolerance has limits between authoritarianism and anarchy -- fundies fall outside both. 

the anti_supernaturalist

Hi Michael,

You're absolutely right. To this extent -- millions experience what they call monitions from God -- answers to prayers, descent of grace, elevation to oneness with God.

And more often than not, delusions with a wolf in sheep clothing leading flock.

Jim Jones

David Karesh

Benny Hinn

Jim Baker

Jimmy Swaggert 

Charismatic Latin & Orthodoxy Rite practitioners.

etc.

Problem is -- all this "experience" belongs to psychological, trained in, short-circuits. A literal reshaping of neural pathways implanted by authoritarians -- family, friends, schools, media, popular culture, and endless institutional propaganda from self-anointed god-proxies.

I go a step further, strong spirits of delusion. 

So, it is no accident that in the Big-3 Monster Theisms -- judaism, xianity, and islam -- faiths that otherwise hate each other as arch-heretics are exactly the same in detailing their alleged experiences.

Yet practitioners of the Big-3 Monster Theism all witnesses the Apparition of the Virgin at the Zeitoun Coptic Church in Cairo as the millions, between 1969 and 1971.

Strong Spirits of delusions sent to confound millions. 

Reliance on subjective certainty speaks volumes about you, but subjective certainty says nothing about reality.

In the study of these groups I forgo the "feeling phenomena". I study events that are witnessed by many simultaneously and also documented on camera. You will see one such posting from China on this thread. And Youtube is filling up with these events.

From my Theist vantage point, these are fallen non-baryonic beings perpetrating delusions to bring on the final apostasy with roots in Pagan Christianity, that dominates the earth. 

• Knowledge and subjective certainty characterize discourses totally distinct from one another.

Establishing truth, knowledge, and reality requires openly verifiable evidence. Subjective certainty is a logically defective proxy for knowledge. Read the trolls who've posted here. Nothing but totally subjective claims alleged to arise from “feelings”. 

No “feelings” come with markers -- xian, islamic, jewish, buddhist -- all so-called religious “feelings” are interpretations, not ready made revelations.

• all this irrational fervor would be funny, except

Fundies employ their subjective certainty to justify paternalistic social control, to enforce their perverted morality, and to launch subversive attacks on an Open Society.

My tolerance has limits between authoritarianism and anarchy -- fundies fall outside both.

Fundies are no fun. Just more of the duped and hoodwinked, another branch on Emperor Constantine's Trinitarian pagan apostasy tree.  

And with my unpopular view I have no rest anywhere

the anti_supernaturalist

Jesus Christ! I came to this site to get away from people like this. Michael, There were many tribes around the time of Moses/Abraham. All of which had their own version of God or Gods. Magic and witch craft were a big part of the culture of the time. You can see it in your own holy book. Do you really believe that when Moses and Aaron turned a staff into a snake or turned water into blood that the Egyptian wizards were able to do it too? They truly believed that Egypt and others could perform magic like this.

Your God was just another tribal God. Concerned only with Israel. If your God were real and truly did create the Earth and Universe, why was he limiting his presence to a small mart of the middle east? Why was he ignoring the Chinese dynasties far East of Israel? Why was he trying to get "his people" out of Egypt instead of converting Egypt to Judaism? Or ANY of the other tribes surrounding Israel who had their own Gods? The whole thing was made up by desert societies. The only reason you believe today is because it is one of the few religions people have not already realized are bat sh!t crazy. I am willing to bet you spent more time choosing your last car than you did the God you worship. Stop annoying people with your tribal religion propaganda.

Jesus Christ! I came to this site to get away from people like this. Michael, There were many tribes around the time of Moses/Abraham. All of which had their own version of God or Gods. Magic and witch craft were a big part of the culture of the time. You can see it in your own holy book. Do you really believe that when Moses and Aaron turned a staff into a snake or turned water into blood that the Egyptian wizards were able to do it too? They truly believed that Egypt and others could perform magic like this.

I hear you and seriously I was born thinking like you and never acquiesced to what I consider fairy tales as a kid. I would laugh at anyone that went to church to scorn.

My favorite quote would come from Captian Nemo. " I see that you are a man of faith, whereas I am a man of reason."

Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself where I am. But that is my conclusion of 32 years of research.  Yes there is God and his prophecie are being fulfilled. My blog post has a nutshell summary of fullment in the last 2000 years based on the Revelation.

Your God was just another tribal God. Concerned only with Israel. If your God were real and truly did create the Earth and Universe, why was he limiting his presence to a small mart of the middle east?

Not so fast, In Daniel," a rock was cut with out hands and smote the image upon the feet... the same rock became a great mountian and filled the whole earth" The thousand years of peace at the conclusion of this age concerns the whole planet. And the great apostasy caused by false Christianity and it's imposition by the sword is addressed in the Revelation

Why was he ignoring the Chinese dynasties far East of Israel? Why was he trying to get "his people" out of Egypt instead of converting Egypt to Judaism? Or ANY of the other tribes surrounding Israel who had their own Gods? The whole thing was made up by desert societies. The only reason you believe today is because it is one of the few religions people have not already realized are bat sh!t crazy. I am willing to bet you spent more time choosing your last car than you did the God you worship. Stop annoying people with your tribal religion propaganda.

You are oblivious to my research and findings. Read about in my blog. There you will find out why I am so inspired.

So you do believe the Egyptian wizards were able to turn staffs into snakes and water into blood? Not to mention talking snakes, interpreting dreams, or being defiled by ghosts. Do you believe that God really wanted a temple in Israel so that he could dwell on Earth? Do you believe that life really came from Adam and Eve although DNA evidence shows that it is impossible for everyone to have descended from only 2 people. Twice at that due to a global flood. And your God has a name? Yahweh? Is this a name given to him by his mother? And what about all the other Gods that used to exist? Yahweh used to be a God of Gods according to your own bible. A counsel that he ruled over which they did not completely remove from the bible. Like Psalms 82 for example. I am sorry to tell you, if there is a God, it is most likely not the one you worship. There are no fulfilled prophecies. Only things you have reinterpreted to fit your own time and beliefs.

So you do believe the Egyptian wizards were able to turn staffs into snakes and water into blood? Not to mention talking snakes, interpreting dreams, or being defiled by ghosts.

Of course the Egyptian wizards don't have power of life so whatever they did was a clever deception, false miracle. We are told that more lying wonders are to come with the great apostasy the swept to  the planet:

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/a-rendering-of-the-last-...

Do you believe that God really wanted a temple in Israel so that he could dwell on Earth?

The temple is simply a shadow of  his abode in each individual with Christ as the ark of the covenant abiding in you with God seated in the mercy seat. He and the Father are to eternally abide with the believer more over you are to receive a spiritual generaton such that you too are born of the Father, This is the parcelete, parakletos 

to abide with you for ever that you testify not of yourself but the Father that sent you 

Do you believe that life really came from Adam and Eve although DNA evidence shows that it is impossible for everyone to have descended from only 2 people.

Adam and Eve were one person. She was bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh.

Adam was literally married to his own body. 

Twice at that due to a global flood. And your God has a name? Yahweh? Is this a name given to him by his mother? And what about all the other Gods that used to exist?

Ah, now I can introduce deep theology. Name in the Hebraic sense has a different meaning it connotes a living presence. Remember that David asked permission to build a house where God's Name could dwell. God's Name is actually a living presence.

Being anointed with this living Name empowered the messenger (Angelic or man) to speak on God's behalf. Moreover in the New Testament we are baptized into the living Name of God. And the Father, Son and your new Spiritual self, (generated out of the  Holy Spirit) are manifested by  being Name in a living way into the family of God.  This is the true meaning of what is being said in the Revelation, when he says, "I will write upon him my new name"

Yahweh used to be a God of Gods according to your own bible. A counsel that he ruled over which they did not completely remove from the bible. Like Psalms 82 for example. I am sorry to tell you, if there is a God, it is most likely not the one you worship. There are no fulfilled prophecies. Only things you have reinterpreted to fit your own time and beliefs.

Now you are just making stuff up. I already read your blog post and you made stuff up there as well. The vision of the cross was in Greek versions of the new testament. I believe the word was Chi Rho but I may be misspelling it.

Bible scholars still do not know what the name Yahweh means or even how to pronounce it. The best explanation so far is that there was a City named Yahweh around 11,000 BC with a very similar name. The reason your English bible makes it seem like that is because Jews went through and removewd the name Yahweh from the Bible and replaced it with Lord out of respect for God and in other places it made the translation to English confusing.

Judging by your responses for everything I am guessing you might be a Jehovah's witness?

But since you brought up Hebrew meanings... The other name used to refer to your God is Elohim. Elohim is a plural word for God. If it were a single God the word used would have been Eloah. There have been many attempts by Theists to try and explain Elohim as being singular but all have been refuted thoroughly. Singular/Plural was a large part of the Hebrew language. Further proving that your religion began as Polytheism just like all other ancient religions.

It is time to grow up and stop making excuses to continue believing in fairy tales.

Now you are just making stuff up. I already read your blog post and you made stuff up there as well.

Incorrect, the essay is historically factual and an elegant rendering of the prophetic text, flesh out in historical detail

The vision of the cross was in Greek versions of the new testament. I believe the word was Chi Rho but I may be misspelling it.

Incorrect the word cross does not appear in the Greek manuscript. use your lexicon the Greek word is Stauros has no such connotation in Greek. 

Bible scholars still do not know what the name Yahweh means or even how to pronounce it. The best explanation so far is that there was a City named Yahweh around 11,000 BC with a very similar name. The reason your English bible makes it seem like that is because Jews went through and removewd the name Yahweh from the Bible and replaced it with Lord out of respect for God and in other places it made the translation to English confusing.

Judging by your responses for everything I am guessing you might be a Jehovah's witness?

Witnesses have no understanding of Christology nor the Revelation.

But since you brought up Hebrew meanings... The other name used to refer to your God is Elohim. Elohim is a plural word for God. If it were a single God the word used would have been Eloah. There have been many attempts by Theists to try and explain Elohim as being singular but all have been refuted thoroughly. Singular/Plural was a large part of the Hebrew language. Further proving that your religion began as Polytheism just like all other ancient religions.

You are referring to vocalizations that announce God. I am referring to his living name that abides in his messengers and even spoke from Solomon's Temple even as God spoke from heaven, during the dedication of the Temple, read it yourself. 

It is time to grow up and stop making excuses to continue believing in fairy tales.

Bible scholars still do not know what the name Yahweh means or even how to pronounce it. The best explanation so far is that there was a City named Yahweh around 11,000 BC with a very similar name. The reason your English bible makes it seem like that is because Jews went through and removewd the name Yahweh from the Bible and replaced it with Lord out of respect for God and in other places it made the translation to English confusing

There is no known language at 11,000 BC, clearly into the Neolithic period. However in Turkey you do have Catal Huyuk, but no known language. Recently Gobekli Tepe Temple has been found with ornate columns but no known language. And of course the earliest ruins at Jericho date from about 9000 B.C.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service