Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

I am looking for people who are ex-Mennonite or ex-Amish or anyone who is familiar with the religion and way of life. I was raised Mennonite and have recently left the church.......am really disturbed and confused about what really happens in these churches and need some advice and help to start a website for others like me who want to leave or have already left. If that's you hit me up.

Mod edit: Post edited to remove purple text.

Tags: amish, mennonite

Views: 1784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to own a club and restaurant just eleven miles from an Amish community - we used to buy milk and eggs from them. From the outside, they appeared to be kind, caring people, but I'm hot at all sure I would have liked being raised in such a community.

Slightly off topic, but I live in an area where the Amish have cornered the market on house framing (I once met Noah, the "Amish Godfather"). There are some laws in place in Cleveland that require people from the local community to work on certain projects, so occasionally you will see inner city folks working side by side with Amish carpenters. 

The Amish have a dress code that more or less requires that the clothes they wear be made within their community, often by their mothers. But OSHA requires safety glasses, and Mom can't make those. So the workers wear the traditional garb, homemade jeans, cotton shirt, and a straw hat, but they love Oakley sunglasses that make them look like they are moving 150 miles an hour.

Saw an add for an Amish Mafia TV show. Had to laugh thinking about the "high speed" chases

If you think THAT sounds exciting, you ain't seen NUTHin' til you've flown Amish Airlines!

I am an atheist also looking to meet ex-mennonite or ex-amish who are now atheist.  

Welcome Michael! I'm pretty familiar with their religion...my Mom's family grew up Mennonite in a very Amish community...

Hi Belle! I started to do some research on the Amish culture a few months back and became quite fascinated with their values and way of life.  

I do like certain things about them too....my Mom grew up in Berne Indiana until about 15 yrs old, and all her family is from there. I went to visit them when I was a kid, and I remember 3 things: the corn stalks, the lightning bugs, and the Amish people, LOL!!!! No I actually remember quite a bit more than that, but those were my 3 favorite things! One of my favorite things about the Amish is their sayings. I also study Latin American Literature, and "dichos" of the people. I also love the Amish sayings, proverbs, whatever you want to call them. Short phrases full of wisdom, even if some of it is religious, a lot of it I have found to be true.

One I really like is "Don’t waste time looking backward. You’ll only trip." lol

Although I do look into the past (for now)...I hope to some day set it down forever :-)

There are lots of things I like about the Amish.  I like their simplistic, non-materialistic lifestyle. I actually live an Amish lifestyle except the part where you believe in a God. I've never had the opportunity to hang around them but have read books and watched videos about them.  

Yep :) I'm on my way to becoming a "minimalist." the thing about that is it's not tied up in religion. There's lots of stuff about "minimalism" you might enjoy :)
I have been reading blogs people have written about not buying anything for a year. For example:
http://www.theminimalists.com/failure/

There's a lot of good in the Amish, though a lot of problems with their culture too...

I'm an ex-Mennonite and a former missionary. I grew up in the more modern, liberal Mennonite tradition though--no buggys or weird clothes or head coverings. :) Found myself in a Mennonite college--and if you know anything about them, they're actually quite liberal Christians. They taught me how to think instead of how to be afraid of questions.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service