I've said elsewhere that this was probably the last election where the Republicans stood a real chance of gaining the American Presidency with a program that mainly appeals to prosperous suburban whites and holds little appeal to most women and almost no appeal at all to racial minorities. 

If the GOP is to survive, what do you think it would have to look like? What could it possibly look like?

Tags: GOP, Republicans

Views: 1735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Romney alienated one minority constituency after another until they added up to a collective majority: women, Hispanics, blue collar workers with jobs related to the auto industry. He never did anything at all to appeal to blacks. 

He used to be a so-called moderate Republican, but in order to appeal to the conservative and Tea Party wing, he hardened most of those positions to the point where he could call himself an "extreme conservative."

Upon hearing Romney's 97% of Americans are moochers comment, one pundit said, "This is the day Romney lost the election." Why? Because a lot of those in the 97% were people Republicans could normally count on: retired people, veterans, etc.

It's hard to imagine how the GOP could win the lost demographics back and not become the Democratic Party #2.

Not to be picky, but wasn't it 47%?  Other than that, I could not agree with you more :)

LOL

You're absolutely right. I knew that but my fingers rebelled. And besides the 9 key is right next to the 4 key...right? :P

Only if you're trying to press it with your head...

So, you know about my devil horns.

Unseen!  You told me that was our little secret!  Now here you are, blurting it out to everyone!

"Schrodinger's cat."

Yes, its half dead and half alive, untill you open the box of tricks and look at it.

I have yet to discuss this 'issue' with my conservative uncle. He was pro-Romney, and got alot of flack for his commitment during a recent family gathering, during which he attempted to tell the rest of the family when to go to bed, how to use the coffee maker, and discussing with me my statis as the oldest grand-child to 'be an example to the rest'. I suggested that I was naked under my cloths, and I can't do a thing about it! Short for 'mind your own f--king business'.

The GOP, just needs to determine what it stands for. If it's going to promote crazy extreamist political or religious/theist positions as primary party platforms, the rest of us will just figure that it has lost its way and needs medication.

I am all for limited corporate political involvement and 'money is not speech', controled theist engagement, education/science/technology/environment funding, enlightened civil rights policy, and a return to 'just war theory'. The GOP promoting the 'making the federal government small enough to drown it in a bath tub', will not cut it. Civilizing the beast would help.

Sadly, I see some issues on the horison that will have to be addressed soon, or NOW. I think most of us here know what these are...

I just hope they slowly die as most of the US starts to look at the GOP like we look at the Tea Party. I HOPE they stay stubborn and ultra religious. The Libertarian Party just needs to keep putting more well qualified, well-spoken, and intelligent candidates. If they can do that, it's only a matter of time before we have a legitimate 3rd party with an actual chance.

Glad someone finally got/addressed the cat reference :D

Hey

Glad someone finally got/addressed the cat reference :D

Heyyyy, I did. I laughed, did you see that?  ;-)

- kk

Just saw this one first... It's okay buddy - you're smart too!

One's sense of humor does not need to be suttle....LOL

I guess in these media-saturated times,you can't just go around talking like a fascist before the convention and then try to become Ike Eisenhower after the convention. The GOP will need to start talking the same game both before and after. BUT, it also needs a new game.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 0 Comments

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service