I've said elsewhere that this was probably the last election where the Republicans stood a real chance of gaining the American Presidency with a program that mainly appeals to prosperous suburban whites and holds little appeal to most women and almost no appeal at all to racial minorities. 

If the GOP is to survive, what do you think it would have to look like? What could it possibly look like?

Tags: GOP, Republicans

Views: 1722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"No takers?"

That's a great question worthy of its own new thread.

I hope the GOP brings Palin back. I so miss her.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed." --Sarah Palin, on Paul Revere's midnight ride, June 3, 2011

Looking back, she was really funny.  At the time, we were absolutely terrified that by some madness she would get elected as vice president.

She's just one more example of a type many Americans find irresistible. And they can be on either side of the political spectrum: Bush and Palin on one side, Pres. Clinton and Veep Joe Biden on the other...

The Bubba.

I am a Libertarian atheist and not an American so I don't vote. If I had voted I would have voted for Romney, seeing the disaster that Obama did with his first term.

I agree that the Republican party must leave the Evangelical Right, but the media is greatly to blame in this election outcome. I mean, come on: Akin said something incredibly stupid and was disowned by the major Republican voices including Romney... but of course, the media hung on to that and made it a meme. I happen to be pro-choice, but I do agree 100% with Romney's proposal of leaving abortion to the states (that's Paul's proposal too, by the by).

And, of course, there is Sandy. I wonder, if Sandy hadn't happened, who would have been president (Romney lost Florida by 50k votes, less than 1%, and Ohio by 100k).

On a brighter outlook, the great thing about his reelection is that Obama won't be able to blame his predecessor for his failures any more... that grows old, don't you think? Imagine if unemployment continues above 8% for another year... what will they invent?

My prediction: in 2014, after a lackluster 2 years of Obama, the Republicans will take back the Senate... and among other things, propose a replacement of Obamacare that doesn't destroy the private healthcare and convert it into the Canadian/UK one. (And please, don't come to me saying how nice those two are. I lived in the UK and the NHS is absolutely appalling... and you can measure the greatness of the Canadian system by all those Americans crossing the border to get treatment there... not)).

I agree with Arcus: Obama will veer more towards the left, leaving the Republicans ample space in the middle. 2014/6 will be a Republican landslide. The best is definitely still to come.

"I am a Libertarian atheist and not an American so I don't vote. If I had voted I would have voted for Romney, seeing the disaster that Obama did with his first term."

I'm curious. What policy, executive order, or legislation of Obama and the Democrats was so disastrous? What was the nature of the disaster? Be specific and cite your sources of information.

"I agree that the Republican party must leave the Evangelical Right, but the media is greatly to blame in this election outcome. I mean, come on: Akin said something incredibly stupid and was disowned by the major Republican voices including Romney... but of course, the media hung on to that and made it a meme."

All the Republicans ever did was go on television to express their opinions to voters. It's not their fault for making all the unfeeling, misogynistic, superstitious, and scientifically inaccurate comments about rape victims and pregnancy. The media is mostly to blame because they broadcasted the incredibly stupid comments, and informed the public of what the Republicans said. Man, that is priceless!

"Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child." - Former Missouri Republican Congressman William Todd Akin, KVTI Tele...

"I believe that life begins at conception. The only exception I have to have an abortion is in that case of the life of the mother. I just struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen." -Former Indiana Senator Richard Mourdock, during a live television d...

“I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you… rape victims should make the best of a bad situation.”Republican Presidential Candidate Rick Santorum, CNN News interview...

"On a brighter outlook, the great thing about his reelection is that Obama won't be able to blame his predecessor for his failures any more... that grows old, don't you think? Imagine if unemployment continues above 8% for another year... what will they invent?"

The Democrats won't have to "invent" anything. The Republicans caused the Great Recession, and ever since they took control of the House in 2010, it's been endless, scorched-earth opposition to Obama's good-faith efforts to restart the economy. If the recession drags on, it'll be because the House Republicans continue that policy: obstructing Obama and then blaming him for not doing enough. That tactic sure backfired in this election. Now we'll see if House Republicans are stupid enough to continue the same strategy in hopes of winning the Senate in 2014. They probably are.

Sometimes the most interesting posts are the ones which show up in full in my email box but are subsequently deleted.

Since this person withdrew this comment, I won't tell you its author, but it's fodder for discussion, so here is a deleted post:

I am a Libertarian atheist and not an American so I don't vote. If I had voted I would have voted for Romney, seeing the disaster that Obama did with his first term.

I agree that the Republican party must leave the Evangelical Right, but the media is greatly to blame in this election outcome. I mean, come on: Akin said something incredibly stupid and was disowned by the major Republican voices including Romney... but of course, the media hung on to that. And, of course, there is Sandy. I wonder, if Sandy hadn't happened, who would have been president (Romney lost Florida by 50k votes, less than 1%, and Ohio by 100k).

On a brighter outlook, the great thing about his reelection is that Obama won't be able to blame his predecessor for his failures any more... that grows old, don't you think? Imagine if unemployment continues above 8% for another year... what will they invent?

My prediction: in 2014, after a lackluster 2 years of Obama, the Republicans will take back the Senate... and among other things, propose a replacement of Obamacare that doesn't destroy the private healthcare and convert it into the Canadian/UK one. (And please, don't come to me saying how nice those two are. I lived in the UK and the NHS is absolutely appalling... and you can measure the greatness of the Canadian system by all those Americans crossing the border to get treatment there... not)).

I see the post in question.

He probably did what I do (too often, I'm afraid). I'll post something, see a typo or something, or else think of a better way of express myself. I'll then delete the post, work on it, and then post it again. However, I tend to do that more frequently with blog posts than forum posts, because the 15 minute edit option isn't there for blog posts.

Ah yeah, that must have been what it was.

So far, Republican Presidents have been elected primarily by old white men - every year, there are fewer old white men.

The next Republican Presidential ticket will have an Hispanic Vice-Presidential Candidate, as that is the fastest-growing segment of America's population. As they learned in the last weeks of the campaign, they also need to jettison the lead anchor that is the RR Tea Party. Any movement to "Take Back America" is doomed - I once saw an interview with Andy Griffith, who confided that the world of "Mayberry" was long gone, even before the TV series was made - it's gone, we move forward or we get left behind - get used to it!

So far, Republican Presidents have been elected primarily by old white men - every year, there are fewer old white men.

But that's not true! Every year there are more old men!

Since 1950, the United States has been in the midst of a profound demographic change: rapid population aging, a phenomenon that is replacing the earlier “young” age-sex structure with that of an older population. (source, pg 13)

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service