I've said elsewhere that this was probably the last election where the Republicans stood a real chance of gaining the American Presidency with a program that mainly appeals to prosperous suburban whites and holds little appeal to most women and almost no appeal at all to racial minorities. 

If the GOP is to survive, what do you think it would have to look like? What could it possibly look like?

Tags: GOP, Republicans

Views: 1740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I meant that we'll see the Republican party turn more Libertarian. It's the social issues that are really turning people off. By becoming more Libertarian, the Republicans will become more liberal on social issues, but keep similar fiscal priorities. I think that's what we'll see happen over the next 8 years.

Risk their massive crazy christian fundamentalist base in exchange for a tiny crazy libertarian sliver? That sounds like a good trade, said no political strategist ever.

Hey Arcus,

If we're lucky the size of the "religious right" will decrease - kk

I didn't say become equal to Libertarians in all social issues. I said become more Libertarian. Saying yes to Civil Unions would gain more votes. Saying that they don't agree with abortion in the first trimester, but won't seek to ban abortions or overturn R v. W would gain them more votes. Saying no to things like authoritarian, warrant-less wire-taps will gain them more votes. There's lots of others!

Will they turn off some evangelic voters? Yep, but I think they can see now that white evangelicals are a dwindling voter base and that their base needs to expand. Becoming more socially liberal (read: moderate) will help them gain more members among independents and small government-minded Democrats.

And as Kir notes, the "nones" are growing. Evangelicals will continue to decrease in power on the national stage. Plus, who else are they going to vote for? They'll do what almost everyone else in the two-party system does: hold their nose and vote for the one that stinks less, which will ensure that Republicans will have their support regardless.

Just heard Rudy Guilani say pretty much the same thing on Anderson Cooper.

You think the GOP will become more like the Libertarian Party?

I think it'll become more moderate on social policy. Foreign policy might become less interventionist just because the neocons will start retiring form the lime-light. Economic policy I imagine will remain unchanged. So yes, I think they will move towards Libertarian Party policies.

To me it seems that this election was the death of the Tea Party. With all the horrible comments that came out of their party over women's rights, the 47% and so on, they were their own worst enemy. If the TP doesn't dissolve by 2016, they will at least have no political sway.

I honestly can't even imagine how the GOP can recover from the damage they did to themselves by going along with the far right all this time.

Didn't even mention how many "TP" Senators/Representatives were kicked out of office. That alone's going to leave them stinging. I mean heck, in my own state we gave Rick Mourdock the boot, and for a damn good reason. I'd prefer not to have anyone's political views "inflicted" on me. By that logic, Hitler had every right to "inflict" his views on the various peoples he put to death. There's a list a mile long of stupid, insensitive, and out-right WRONG things he's said...

Regrettably, Michelle Bachmann squeaked through for another 2 years. But surely Sarah Palin realizes that HER day is done. Maybe she could still do Dancing With the Stars - do they still have Holywood Squares?

With the current bat-shit craziness they received almost 50% of the vote, so there's that. They are in a fairly good position as they only need to maneuver a bit more into the territory of sanity and towards the center, and they can win by a landslide. If they do this, which I'm fairly certain they will have to do, the Democrats will be displaced further left, and thus risk losing many of their centrist voters. 

The GOP of Michael Steele and Jon Huntsman would run ring arounds the Democrats.

It amazes me how Romney and the GOP in general can't relate to how their prayers for an election victory went unanswered. It didn't seem to deter him though, as he offered his prayers for the Democrates in his "losers" speech.Do you think any of the GOP will attempt to play down the religious banter in 2016?   

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 44 minutes ago. 109 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 46 minutes ago. 13 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 1 Reply

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 5 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service