Despite the provocative headline that got you this far, I'm sure there's something to it.

So few women top executives exist that I'm sure there's some "boys club" reason behind it in the board rooms of major corporations where, not coincidentally, there are relatively few women.

But what about female line workers: the female clerks, saleswomen, scientists and engineers. Not the woman who aspires to being the CEO, but the woman who, like most men, just wants to earn a living.

I've often wondered about the statistics and have yet to find an answer to this question: are the statisticians comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges?

Here's what I mean: 

Most men are ready to travel or even relocate away from friends and family if it will improve their career opportunities. I strongly suspect that while many woman are also ready to improve their careers in this way, most women are not. 

I strongly suspect that many women still head toward careers in line with natural feminine inclinations to nurture: teaching, nursing, veterinary care and assistantship jobs, art and craft-oriented jobs.

Add to this some of the disadvantages of women in the workplace such as, greater absenteeism (female health and family commitment reasons), more likely to be a smoker (less likely to give up a break in a crisis situation), and less likely to accept a career move if it means leaving office friends behind, and...

...I wonder what the stats about advancement opportunities and pay would look like if one compared the women who were more like men against their male counterparts.

Views: 1144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@KK

I'm tracking you here but does that really alter the logic any? Or if so, how does it alter the logic? 7 billion people can be wrong.

It's like the difference between trying to stop a cabin cruiser or an aircraft carrier. It's a problem of inertia.

Hey,

Ironic how things are. As I was typing that I heard an old favorite song which I thought was fitting:

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change.

The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange.

He asked the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes. Get a job you $$%' slob is all he replied.

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

Then you really might know what it's like.

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom, said he was in love.

He said d’ worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of.

But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call.

And she swear god d$%^ if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his b#$%s. Then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the door.

They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore.

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose. Then you really might know what it's like.

I've seen a rich man beg, I've seen a good man sin, I've seen a tough man cry.

I've seen a loser win, and a sad man grin.

I heard an honest man lie. I've seen the good side of bad, and the down side of up, and everything between.

I licked the silver spoon, drank from the golden cup, n’ smoked the finest green.

I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times before I broke they heart. You know where it ends.

Yo, it usually depends on where ya start.
I knew this kid named Max; He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs. He liked to hang out late at night, liked to get s#$% faced, and keep pace with thugs.

Until late one night there was a big gun fight Max lost his head. He pulled out his chrome .45, talked some s$%^t and wound up dead.

Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain.

You know it crumbles that way, at least that's what they say when you play the game.
God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to lose.

Then you really might know what it's like. To have to lose.

~ Everlast

- kk

Having cycled poor and well off many times,

I noticed that the equation has a smell about it,

that is often times quiet off.

Forgive my disrespect and sarcastic tone of voice,

But when I see others in the gutter,

And myself looking down,

I feel a little betrayal and memory,

Of other souls and I seeking a peace,

That seems very hard to find.

So here I am amide the remains of other lives,

A museum of memories and creation as castoffs.

Reminding me that I am not artsy,

Or failed in some way,

But now a care-taker of my and other memories,

Compassion forbids a dumpster run,

Association's web induces a storm of pain,

That then subsides.

I hear the crackle of lighting strikes,

As Association's web is touched again,

Mother and family gone,

Replaced by a silence,

And puppies playing in the yard.

I have loved so,

And watched the death closeup,

And far away!

I have smelled pepper spray,

And the sounds of loose,

And the march of jack boots with batons on the ground,

And one block from the action,

Nothing but silence and coffee cups in the wind.

kk & James - both really cool. 

@Unseen,

It's like the difference between trying to stop a cabin cruiser or an aircraft carrier. It's a problem of inertia.

True.

- kk

thanks Simon - kk

Hey Sarah,

Don't be silly. I didn't and I know the feeling, I do it, too.

- kk

BTW, Sarah, don't be fooled by KK's icon. Just as I'm not really Max Headroom, he isn't really a cute 10 year old boy. He's very much a grown up.

You're not really Max Headroom?:-O surprise Next, you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus!

Hey Unseen,

You're not really Max? Dang, I thought you were famous. I was playing the harpy with you :-) Oh, it was 14 and I really don't look much different today. The main difference is that the proportion of my head size to my body has changed ;-) 

- kk

Hey,

But to the discussion question of the glass ceiling, there is no question, women as a whole have extra challenges. Would you agree?

Of course they do, yea, I agree. But women are also abusing men in family courts, too, which was my earlier point. Just to be fair and balanced. Moral of this lesson: make sure when you have a child with someone they are not a sociopath, man or woman ;-)

- kk

Hey Sarah,

... a mother is always a mother first. That's universal

I don't think so.

- kk

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 47 seconds ago. 5 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service