Is it religions fault that the discrimination against the GLBT exists?

Views: 1473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes we humans are always labeling things and recording facts as our education dictates.  But gravity is a universal/cosmic event that we all share, so it can be call Yu Hung ma (don't hate me for that) and still have the same effect.  However homosexuality is NOT universal, it is a unique idea from a unique cultural idea. 

Apparently he thinks so, because, Helium! And how do we know down isn't really up from the atom's point of view. Or something.

did you know that at  one time in Egypt that up was down (south) and down was up (north) the Mediterranean area was Lower Egypt and the South was Upper Egypt.

Yes, in many cases, we can. Sometimes what the uneducated see as arrogance, is simply education. Sometimes one can be arrogantly ignorant.

As well as culturally ignorant Mith..

In the English language, we have defined the word "homosexual" as meaning sexual activity between two animals (humans are animals as well, after all). Now when we observe activity that falls within that definition, we label it homosexual activity. This labeling serves to organize our knowledge of the world we live in. If that is arrogant, then perhaps all language is arrogant as well, because we constantly classify things that we "do not know enough about", as you put it.

And in response to what you said above about gravity being a universal effect, if we observe behaviour in animals that falls under the definition of homosexual, then we can say that homosexual behaviour is universal to the animal kingdom.

OK what's your point that this particular culture (english) makes the rules of what is and isn't homosexuality?  Remember the culture drive for power over others..

Xu how can you even begin to say that homosexuality is universal to the animal kingdom?  We all experience gravity, but we all don't experience what you call homosexuality.

What are you on about?! Just like gravity, homosexuality exists whether or not it has a name. Before Newton discovered the principle behind gravity, it still existed, and as Karl Pilkington put it, "we weren't all floating about, were we". Haha!

Saying something is universal doesn't imply that it literally exists in everything. An element like helium or oxygen is universal. That doesn't mean that the universe is 100% helium or oxygen.

Yeah, OK. You don't see a correlation between race or gender equality and sexual preference equality, and you think that somehow calling two male animals having sex 'homosexual behavior' is some kind of antroplogical ethnocentrism, but I'm culturally ignorant? OK, sure. 

having "sex"...why sex?

Actually, I am not 'interpreting' at all. Many species engage in sexual or mating-related behaviors with members of the same sex. Period. If you are actually asking how we (referring to those scientists whose business it is to observe and document such things) know that certain behaviors are mating or sexual behaviors, I would advise you to read a basic biology text.

Likewise, the question you pose about 'everything on the planet being homosexually inclined' shows a similar ignorance of how science works, how the world works, or what we are really talking about. There are a myriad of behaviors to which many, but not all species are 'inclined.' Why is universality required to demonstrate that a similar behavior exists in many species? For all of that, what does the fact that many primates exhibit this behavior have to do with 'everything on the planet?'

As I have already defined, 'homosexual behavior' in any species refers to sexual activity with members of the same sex. Whether is is or is not sexual behavior with members of the same sex has nothing to do with environmental causes. It is either sexual behavior with members of the same sex or it is not. How is it that you are not grasping this? How is it that you are not grasping that behavior =/= concepts? Animals may not 'understand' sexual behavior by way of a concept of 'sexual behavior;' would you claim that they do not engage in sexual behavior?

Again I ask, how do we know that the animal behavior is what we call "homosexuality and how much of it is due to our own interference with their environment?  For example the removal of rain forest, habitat therefore food sources, the introduction of disease which may mark "gender" imbalance etc. inadvertent killing of species for profit which also creates imbalances. 

So If I understand you.. you think that by cutting back the rainforest animals are becoming gay? Or what we would perceive as gay?

I think you would think that other species share our anthropological concepts because you keep insisting that they have homosexual acts/behaviors. 

Well, if you consider everything on this planet shares a common ancestry.. it would then stand to reason that there would be some behaviors which would transcend species. Homosexuality would fit that bill.... 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Lewal 1 hour ago. 66 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 10 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 10 hours ago. 19 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 11 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service